Question About Receiving CW east

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I am in the Augusta,GA market & I do not receive CW locally. I sent an email to D* about getting CW east because of it,& they responded that I should call their 800 number to see if I would qualify to receive it. To qualify,do they mean that the CW cannot be received locally because it is not offered locally? I don't have an antenna to receive it OTA,are they saying my only option is to go out & buy an antenna to receive it(it is broadcast as a secondary digital signal,Digital 30.2,from our local NBC affiliate)? I'm just curious as to my options of getting CW through D*.

Its a combination of Directv offering it and IF a station carries it locally they have to give up the right to exclusivity.

My local market (Duluth, MN) the CW is a subchannel on CBS. Yet I get CW East from Washington DC as part of my locals (the local CW is not on D*)

It sounds like the NBC is not giving up the rights for CW in the market...obviously wanting to play hardball when the next contract comes up.

I dont think there is a way to get around it.

Correct - they have the same problem in the Peoria/Bloomington DMA - the local ABC affiliate that has it on a subchannel, will NOT allow D* to offer it as DNS...

I'm curious. When you called the 800 number what did they say?

I haven't called the number yet. The information I got was from the email. Here is the email:

"Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Receiving CW

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Leslie Di. - 100152175) - 08/29/2010 02:42 PM
Dear Mr. Smith,

Thanks for taking the time to write us.

I understand your interest in getting the CW East on channel 384. If you live in an area with no local TV service and you cannot receive a grade-B over the air signal (with antenna) from a local affiliate, we may be able to provide you with the CW network affiliates from either New York or Los Angeles. If you're interested in getting these non-local networks, please know that federal law -- not DIRECTV - sets strict guidelines for receiving non-local broadcast channels.

To find out if you're eligible to get this New York or Los Angeles network, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 and ask the Customer Service Representative to check your address.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Leslie D. - 100152175
DIRECTV Customer Service"

It's not big deal,I just want to see Hellcats & Nikita on CW. I'll find a way.

Well when I run the address of the PO in Augusta it says you MAY be able to get CW.
See pic attached

Here is the website I used to check
Enter Address

its worth a try to plug in your address and see if they can send a waiver for you to get CW

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 501
I fully expect to have to use OTA for my local CW once DirecTV offers our locals this October. Our local CW is on a subchannel in SD. :( The same situation for My Network.

Well when I run the address of the PO in Augusta it says you MAY be able to get CW.
See pic attached

Enter Address

its worth a try to plug in your address and see if they can send a waiver for you to get CW

Thanks,I checked & it said I could receive CW without a waiver. I went ahead & placed the request through the website.

cool. So it sounds like the local CW doesnt want everyone to get it but will waive their exclusive right if you ask

Yeah its only SD but its better than nothing....and on Sunday's they have the Nationals games on there

I'm paying $2.50 per month extra for the CW channel. I saw the bill on my account right now. With it prorated for when I ordered it,I owe $0.33. As my mother said,"I hope we can pay it," LOL.

See pic attached

Enter Address

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! I've wanted CW since I moved from NYC to GA where it's not offered. All of my favorite shows are on this channel. I called DirecTv about not having the CW and they didn't explain why I didn't have it so I was confused.

BUT so I did as you described and I got the channel granted without a waiver within 15 minutes. I also have to pay an extra 2.50 but that's fine... it's definitely worth it though. Thank you again.

strange I get CW HD out of Atlanta. Would think they would give you that one.

Because you guys are in TWO different DMA's. (TV markets)
D* normally can't supply any TV stations outside their respective markets, except in limited circumstances, like the above.
Also, since the vast majority of local channels are on spot beams, that also has to be taken into consideration.
ALL the DNS networks, such as the CW east & west in the 380's, are on CONUS beams, so that is why they are used in these limited instances.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! I've wanted CW since I moved from NYC to GA where it's not offered. All of my favorite shows are on this channel. I called DirecTv about not having the CW and they didn't explain why I didn't have it so I was confused.

BUT so I did as you described and I got the channel granted without a waiver within 15 minutes. I also have to pay an extra 2.50 but that's fine... it's definitely worth it though. Thank you again.
no problem. glad to help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)