Question about recording on SA 8300

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Is it possible to record based on time rather than based on programming?

For example, say a program runs from 1:00 - 3:00, but I only want to recorde from 1:30 - 2:00 or something like that. Is there any way to do this?

Also, say I want to record just a segment of a show. For example, say I'm watching VH1 classics and a video I want to record comes on. How do I record just that video without ending up with the entire hour's worth of programming as it's listed on the guide? As it is now, if I'm on VH1C and the guide shows programming from 2:00 - 3:00 and at 2:20 the segment I want to record comes on, if I hit record, it will record from 2:00 if I was on the channel since that time.

I hope I explained this clearly enough.

Good question. I have the SA8000 and when I come across something I want to record while in the middle of the programing, I just hit REC. then A to accept. It records from that point forward to the end of the program. If you want to stop it at a certain point, you can edit the STOP time by putting in a new time. You can enter to the minute.
If you start at 1:05 PM, you can change the stop time to 1:08 or 1:11, etc. and it will stop recording at that time.
Again, I have the SA8000, and the SA8300 might be different.
Hope this helps.

Bro

when you program and before you hit accept(and when to erase etc) just toggle over to the times of the show highlight ,use up and down arrows to add a minute or subtract some

Actually, there are several options (based on the simular 8000HD):

1.Choose the program from the programming guide, and it is not currently playing. You get the opportunity to change the start/end times here (useful for live events like NASCAR).

2. While watching a show, press the record button. It will record the entire show (all of the buffered video plus the live video). A cool feature if you ask me. I can be watching the Simpsons, decide I have to leave, and just record the ENTIRE show right in the middle of the show!!!

Here's the CATCH (BIG ONE)... If you have a recording set in the DVR, and the recording is currently underway, you CAN NOT CHANGE THE END TIME!!! It will let you, but it will ignore your request!!!

-John

jgantert said:
Actually, there are several options (based on the simular 8000HD):
2. While watching a show, press the record button. It will record the entire show (all of the buffered video plus the live video). A cool feature if you ask me. I can be watching the Simpsons, decide I have to leave, and just record the ENTIRE show right in the middle of the show!!!

Right, that's a cool option but what if I don't want to record the entire show? I'll use the same example I gave above. Say I start watching VH1 at 2:00. According to the guide, it might show something like "Music Videos 2:00 - 3:00". So, the DVR sees that time span as a one hour program. Now, while I'm watching, a video comes on at 2:45 that I want to record. If I hit record, it will not record just the video I want, but the entire show going back to 2:00. How can I get around this and just record the segment I want without getting the whole hour of programming?

you can also switch channels right before the part you want comes on. come back to it and it will lose the buffered section. hit recored and stop when you are done. select save and you are good to go.

Yeah, I suppose I could do that but it sure seems like a pain. I was hoping there was a "real" way to do this instead of some cumbersome workaround. It's not really a major issue, but it is definitely a small annoyance.

just be thankful that we have a stable dvr. probably the best one on the market right now. just think, you could be stuck with a 921 or 942 or directvs 1000 dollar receiver. i think we are doing ok.

korsjs said:
just be thankful that we have a stable dvr. probably the best one on the market right now. just think, you could be stuck with a 921 or 942 or directvs 1000 dollar receiver. i think we are doing ok.

I suppose. A dvr has never really been a deal maker/breaker for me, but as long as I have it, it would be nice to have this capability. Like I said, it's not really a complaint, but just a minor annoyance. I definitely have more options with the dvr as it is now than I did without a dvr, so at least in that regard I'm happy.

korsjs said:
you can also switch channels right before the part you want comes on. come back to it and it will lose the buffered section. hit recored and stop when you are done. select save and you are good to go.

Yup, thats a good idea...

Best on the market... Pfft... It doesn't even have DVI out, and the PG is horrible! Sounds like the $1000 D* HDTivo is the best from what I've heard. The E* 942 has gotten good reviews as well. You get what you pay for, and for $10, I guess the 8000HD isn't too bad... :)

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)