Question about RSNs and 61.5/129

sonnyboy11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Hey all. I have been reading through the thread on the RSNs and HD and I have a specific question that I wanted in my own thread.

First my set up- I have two Dish 500s on the roof. One is for 110/119 and the other is 61.5 :)up!). I am on the west coast so I am supposed to be pointed at 129 but I get a strong signal off 61.5 and keep it there (although I sacrifice getting my local networks through Dish in HD- I get them OTA). Box-wise I have a 622 in one room and a 508 in the other.

With the HD RSNs being split up onto 61.5 and 129, I am now thinking that I need to figure out a way to get 129. So here are my questions

1) When I leased my 622 I qualified for the upgrade to the Dish 1000. However, I was already pleased with my two Dish set up so I declined having them put up the 1000. Even though I declined, could I ask for it now and still get it as part of my original 622 deal? Would they want to take my current two Dishes in exchange?

2) If I have a Dish 1000 pointed at 110/119/129 and a second Dish pointed at 61.5, how does my 622 decide which HD channel to use? Does it just go with whichever bird is giving it the stronger signal? Are their multiple channels?

Ultimately, I am trying to figure out the best way to have both 61.5 and 129 w/o having to add a third Dish or spend a lot of money.

What do you guys think?

First, don't do anything until Dish confirms they are going to split the RSNs between 61.5 & 129. It makes sense for them to do that, but so far they are not committed to doing it this way.

If you don't want to put up a third dish, then you are going to have to go to some variant of the Dish 1000. You might want to wait to get a 1000+ to get a stronger signal from 129.

I seriously doubt you will be able to take your upgrade in two stages. I believe the key to that upgrade is that it includes a single installation trip. You can call to negotiate this, but I will be surprised, not shocked - but surprised, if you can get it free.

Other option is to repoint the 61.5 dish to 129 to get both your LILs and RSNs. No dish, lnb, or switch changes required.

Tom Bombadil said:
First, don't do anything until Dish confirms they are going to split the RSNs between 61.5 & 129. It makes sense for them to do that, but so far they are not committed to doing it this way.

If you don't want to put up a third dish, then you are going to have to go to some variant of the Dish 1000. You might want to wait to get a 1000+ to get a stronger signal from 129.

I seriously doubt you will be able to take your upgrade in two stages. I believe the key to that upgrade is that it includes a single installation trip. You can call to negotiate this, but I will be surprised, not shocked - but surprised, if you can get it free.

Other option is to repoint the 61.5 dish to 129 to get both your LILs and RSNs. No dish, lnb, or switch changes required.

Thanks Tom.

So, when is the 1000+ due out?

Also, I would probably re-point at 129 to get the west coast regionals. But since I get Center Ice every year, isn't it a better plan to try and get both 129 and 61.5 so I can watch as many games as possible in HD?

garys said:
Noone knows how that will work yet, but if the sd game is blacked out, chances are the HD game will be as well. Center Ice is not using either of those locations yet.

But it looks like it will be soon according to Scott's uplink chart

387 - NHLHD added to 61.5W TP 30 (Not Available)

388 - NHLHD added to 61.5W TP 30 (Not Available)

389 - NHLHD added to 61.5W TP 30 (Not Available)

390 - NHLHD added to 129.0W TP 8 (Not Available)

391 - NHLHD added to 129.0W TP 8 (Not Available)

392 - NHLHD added to 129.0W TP 8 (Not Available)

393 - NHLHD added to 129.0W TP 8 (Not Available)

So, I went ahead and talked to Dish, and SURprise! They are still fine to install the Dish 1000 if I want it. I still could not get an answer on how it works if I am getting both 129 and 61.5 though. Anyone?

"I still could not get an answer on how it works if I am getting both 129 and 61.5 though. "

That's a good question and I haven't seen the answer yet. Some people with both 129 and 61.5 say that their receiver defaults to 61.5 some others say that it defaults to 129. I only have 129 so I can't even test it but it will be nice to know how the receiver decides which signal to pick and if it can be forced to 61.5.

For some reason if i remember - it seems that however you set up the switch and the ports is what tells the receiver to look at which satellite.

Don't hold me to that though! :D

Bumpin this-

Question: Does anyone get both 129 and 61.5 satellites? I got a feeling I am going to be the first person ever to try it! :)

"I got a feeling I am going to be the first person ever to try it! "

Nah, some others already have both. The question is, what makes the receiver default to 129 when both satellites are detected.

On Sunday, I added 129 to a setup that already had 61.5 for a friend (Satguys member). We tested the Voom channels just to see what satellite it would tune to and no matter what we did the 622 would always tune to 129. We tried the below configurations:

Config 1: DPP44 switch (119, 110, 61.5, 148) and DP21 (129)
Config 2: DPP44 Switch (119, 110, 129, 148) and DP21 (61.5)

RandallA said:
"I got a feeling I am going to be the first person ever to try it! "

Nah, some others already have both. The question is, what makes the receiver default to 129 when both satellites are detected.

Wouldn't it also be possible that it could default to 61.5? I gotta think there is some way to set up the receiver manually to choose the one you want, just not sure how.

Widescreen said:
My father-in-law has a dish pointed at 61.5 and a dish1000. His receivers do see all 4 slots. I need to do some experimenting to see which slot is being used for common channels (like Voom).

Definitely keep me posted if you find anything out! I sure wish they would officially fire up the RSNs in HD so we could all see what the deal is and how to proceed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)