Question About Speaker

ddlsmith

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
:confused: I KNOW this is not a V* related question BUT since there is a link to "View Members Home Theaters" can someone help me out?

Looking at some of the systems I notice that some people put their center channel speaker directly on top of their projection TV's. Is this not bad for the TV with the magnet in the speaker? I always thought it was but I would like to place mine there until I get a suitable entertainment center and I sure don't want to screw up my brand new set.

Any advice? I have a Hitachi 57" rear projection HDTV and a Boston Acoustics 525V center speaker.

Thanks.:bow

PS: OK, I'll make this V* related...Since my last post, I have had no more STB lockups, everything is perfect (knock wood). I am not cancelling my follow up service call yet to bring me 2 new STB's however...just in case. I have had the boxes on since 7:00 this morning (9 hrs.) and still working fine. Major storms predicted for San Antonio this evening so we'll see what happens with that.

Projection TV's are not succeptable to damage from magnets like Tube TV's are. Basically, put the speaker up there and see if it affects the picture. It should not. If it does, remove it.

You could also check your speakers' specs or owner's manuals to see if they're "magnetically shielded". I think -- although I admit that it's quite possible that I'm mistaken -- that this means they're designed not to screw up your tv. My bet is your BA is designed to be plopped right on top of your telly and won't cause any problems at all.

Tube-don't do,projection you will be fine.

even tube televisions now wont have an issue with a true shielded speaker, all of the reputable speaker manufacturers shield their speakers ie if it is a ht speaker not a bookshelf, it must be labeled ht , home theatre as such

I wouldn't worry to much about the speaker.

As others have said put it up there and if it affects the pic take it off. Rear projection TVs have the guts down low and since a magnetic field drops off at a fast rate...you shouldn't have any problems. Likely a Google search would give you the info you need on that particular speaker model. A good share of the speakers being manufactured now are magnetically shielded as it is cheaper to mass produce one model rather than two.

However, those of us with the big stereo speakers are often not so lucky. In my case the manufacturer figured that the speakers might be right next to a TV so no problem. But my old speakers--lookout!

Watching HDTV under rainy/windy Seattle skies, Gill

Thanks Seattle...I did take your advice and went to Boston Acoustics website and confirmed that their speakers feature "Magnaguard" shielding. I'm not so sure about my Phase Technology main front speakers but they are 3-4 feet from the set so I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Usually the center channel is the only speaker that is shield due to the close location to the TV. If your main speakers are 3-4 feet away, you wil be fine. My main front speakers are about the 3 feet from the edge of the TV.

There is a second concern about placing the center channel on top of a RP TV. If it is a large center it can cause the top of the cabinet to bow. To combat this some people have had a piece of tempered glass cut to protect the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)