Question about sports pack

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
when you get the sportspack do you only get your local sports networks? What about if you order a sports thing like NHL center ice? Also how does HD work with the RSNs and a sports package? Thanks guys

Let me see if I get all this right.

1. You get your local RSN and it's alternates with your package and it HD if you have HD access and based on your zip code.

2. If you add the RSN package; league games outside your market can be blacked out; this is based on zip code and enforced by DBS, but not created by them.

3. If you add a league's package (IE Center Ice) you can then get access to out of market games.

4. "How does HD work?" I think each league can be a bit different; but if you have HD access you should get the available HD league games. (not sure I am reading what your asking but I took a shot)

when you get the sportspack do you only get your local sports networks? What about if you order a sports thing like NHL center ice? Also how does HD work with the RSNs and a sports package? Thanks guys

Let me see if I get all this right.

1. You get your local RSN and it's alternates with your package and it HD if you have HD access and based on your zip code.

2. If you add the RSN package; league games outside your market can be blacked out; this is based on zip code and enforced by DBS, but not created by them.

3. If you add a league's package (IE Center Ice) you can then get access to out of market games.

4. "How does HD work?" I think each league can be a bit different; but if you have HD access you should get the available HD league games. (not sure I am reading what your asking but I took a shot)

Nice post Charper,
Covered everything I could think of , anything else abooch, does this answer what your looking for ?

Jimbo

Let me ask one. How much is the sports pack? I am curious about cstv. Is it included in any package or do you have to get the sports pack? What about BTN. Do you have to get the sports pack to get it if you are not in the big ten region? Ok. I asked three.:)

k cool but I still dont get the rule. About the rsns outside your region.. I live in north new jersey so I get the ny rsns but but when would I get out of market games on other rsns(esp in HD) i know with the CI package i get out of market games.. So then whats the point of the sports pack then

Sports pack is $12. Essentially you get extra stations like cstv, espnu, outdoor, etc.

Also get all out of area RSNs. Does not give you pro sports or college basketball/football except those on the regular networks listed above (espnu, cstv, etc.)

I have it for college hockey and basketball, several on espnu & cstv. I only get it in winter months, not much on in the summer.

The RSNs are good for lots of poker, and regional shows like pregame/postgames, team specials, etc.

k cool but I still dont get the rule. About the rsns outside your region.. I live in north new jersey so I get the ny rsns but but when would I get out of market games on other rsns(esp in HD) i know with the CI package i get out of market games.. So then whats the point of the sports pack then

Basically, if you want out of market games, you don't want the sports pack, they are blacked out usually. For the Out of market games buy the NHL CI. , MLB EI or NFL ST packages.

Jimbo

I think I will wait until ESPNU hd is launched. Maybe by then CSTV hd will be showing alot of games in hd as well.

I read or heard somewhere that Directv had reshuffled some of the RSN's that many subscribers receive according to zipcode.

What I overheard at a bar is that some subscribers teams had changed.

Is this true ?

Maybe in tight border areas with a few different teams close; especially ones where new teams RSNs/sports channels are added. If this is the case remember that your DBS company has no control over who gets what, those zip boundaries are created by the leagues and sent to the DBS companies to enforce by rule/law. Basically the same as the local affiliates.

This is my guess.

I read or heard somewhere that Directv had reshuffled some of the RSN's that many subscribers receive according to zipcode.

What I overheard at a bar is that some subscribers teams had changed.

Is this true ?

This happens twice a year, before the baseball season and before the football season ....

Jimbo

You actually get a lot of college basketball and football on Sports Pack that almost defeats the purpose of getting ESPN Full Court, and you do get a lot of basketball with the Sports Pack

For example, 9 of the 16 games on Full Court will be on Sports Pack channels, and the only games will that will be blacked out are the two SEC mathups (Arkansas @ Georgia, Mississippi @ Auburn) because FSN South and Sun Sports have territorial restrictions with the SEC.

The only games that are blacked out in my area are the mentioned SEC games on FSN South/Sun Sports, Big East games on MSG (which can usually be found on SNY/MASN/FSN Pitt), Missouri and Kansas State basketball on FSN Midwest, and a lot of channels that show regional ACC basketball (but if CSN Mid-Atlantic shows a game, it is unblocked).

Not only that, but you get lots of Pac-10 regional coverage, WCC (Gonzaga, St. Mary's), CAA (George Mason, Old Dominion, VCU, Hofstra) and A-10 (Xavier, St. Joe's, Rhode Island, Dayton) coverage that cannot be found on ESPN Full Court. For $12 a month, along with a good amount of college football and every college baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. game, i think it's a steal for the amount of collegiate sports.

Ok. I'm still so new I don't have my system installed. It happens next Wednesday.

So what I think I understand is this...I will get my local RSN (either FS-Ohio or FS-Cincinnati...not sure which). If I wanted to get FS-Midwest, I would order the Sports package for $12/month.

HOWEVER, any St Louis Cardinal games on FS-Midwest would most likely be blacked out because I am not in their region. Is this correct?

Ok. I'm still so new I don't have my system installed. It happens next Wednesday.

So what I think I understand is this...I will get my local RSN (either FS-Ohio or FS-Cincinnati...not sure which). If I wanted to get FS-Midwest, I would order the Sports package for $12/month.

HOWEVER, any St Louis Cardinal games on FS-Midwest would most likely be blacked out because I am not in their region. Is this correct?

You will probably get BOTH RSN's you mentioned, not sure about Midwest.

One other thing to think about is , you will get alot of Bball on the "Big Ten Network " as well.

Jimbo

Is the BTN regional or is it national on Direct?? I live in the South but I really have enjoyed it on Dish. I would look but my Direct install was delayed until this Wed.:)

Is the BTN regional or is it national on Direct?? I live in the South but I really have enjoyed it on Dish. I would look but my Direct install was delayed until this Wed.:)

I thought I had heard that it was free in the area and a package outside of the surrounding area, but have not seen anything about it from D*, there was info on the bigtennetwork.com awhile back.

Jimbo

I thought I had heard that it was free in the area and a package outside of the surrounding area, but have not seen anything about it from D*, there was info on the bigtennetwork.com awhile back.

Jimbo

I live in TN and don't get blacked out any games from the Big Ten Network.

BTN is national on Directv, no plans announced otherwise.

BTN is national free-preview on Dish. Sometime in "early 2008" it will go to regional for the 8 states, and something else for the other 42 states.

I would imagine it would become part of sports pack for outside the BTN area, but they haven't said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts