Question about switching to Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

flabyboy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
MN
So currently I am a Dish Network customer. I have a VIP 722 receiver. I had one HD set and one standard set, but the standard set bit the dust last week. Enter the second HD TV. Dish is going to charge me $200 for a second HD DVR plus $7 more a month for HD service to the second set.

I am thinking about switching to Directv and doing the whole home DVR service. My understand is I will only need 1 HD DVR and one HD receiver and I will have both HD content and DVR services on both my sets. Not sure how this works but sounds good to me. The only thing that will be tough is getting a second cable into my house from the satellite since my utility room is in the center of my house and the basement is fully finished. The Dish network guy did it 2 yrs ago and it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, what HD DVR receiver and HD receiver should I get as a new customer. What do they typically give out? Should I demand the newest and best now while I have some leverage or will I have to pay a lot extra? My experience with these companies is they take care of their new customers, but once they got your contract, your stuck with the old equipment for a long time.

The lady on the phone said I would be getting the HR 21, some research tells me this is not the newest model. What are your opinions? Any help appreciated

Also do any of the HD DVR from Directv come with a wifi adaptor for internet connectivity?

Yes if you have an HD-DVR you can schedule recordings and play back on your HD receiver, it is $7/mo for DVR and $3/mo for multiroom. HD Access is free now with auto-billpay.

You get an HD DVR and HD receiver for free. $25 to add hookup to your router for on demand.

Most new customers get HR24 and H24, especially if you select the multiroom whole home dvr service. You can't specialize hardware until the installer comes then it is up to what they have, you could request an HR24/H24 at that time, you lose all leverage after the install is done. Most reports recently show they are installing HR24 / H24 consistently on new installs.

The CSR on phone has no way to order specific models, they just order "HD DVR".

None come with Wifi, but for $25 they put in the DECA adapter and connect to your router, then all receivers have internet.

Thank you. One more question. If I get the whole home DVR, it says special internet installation needed. What does this entail? Do all my Receivers need to be hard wired with ethernet cable or is it still wireless if I choose? I hope they don't have to be hard wired. I would be SOL. Do they require specific routers for wireless. I am very happy with my Netgear router and would not want to change it out

Your router stays the same, it is not wireless. They put a DECA adapter in at your router, connect it to router and the coax that the satellite receivers connect to. It gives you internet connection on your receivers. They charge $25 for it, it is an option when you place the order. Well worth it and much better than wireless.

So they won't have to run Ethernet cable all thru the house than? The extra equipment is all installed by the router than? Is there a minimum download and upload speed needed for this to work properly?

MRV runs over the coax with a DECA set up. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all. If you want to use VOD you do need to be connected to a router. The DECA install won't be free it's kind of pricey. Most pay $150 + $25 and some newbies are charged another $50. Long term customers usually only $100 total.

So currently I am a Dish Network customer. I have a VIP 722 receiver. I had one HD set and one standard set, but the standard set bit the dust last week. Enter the second HD TV. Dish is going to charge me $200 for a second HD DVR plus $7 more a month for HD service to the second set.

I am thinking about switching to Directv and doing the whole home DVR service. My understand is I will only need 1 HD DVR and one HD receiver and I will have both HD content and DVR services on both my sets. Not sure how this works but sounds good to me. The only thing that will be tough is getting a second cable into my house from the satellite since my utility room is in the center of my house and the basement is fully finished. The Dish network guy did it 2 yrs ago and it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, what HD DVR receiver and HD receiver should I get as a new customer. What do they typically give out? Should I demand the newest and best now while I have some leverage or will I have to pay a lot extra? My experience with these companies is they take care of their new customers, but once they got your contract, your stuck with the old equipment for a long time.

The lady on the phone said I would be getting the HR 21, some research tells me this is not the newest model. What are your opinions? Any help appreciated

Hi,
Just curious what receiver did you request when you called Dish? The only one I am aware of that might cost $200.00 for an upgrade is a VIP922 and unless you plan on watching TV away from home, and have really good broadband upload speeds it's probably not what you are looking for. If you have DHPP and are a customer that has been paying on time, especially auto pay, you should be able to up grade/add a receiver for a lot less than that. You should be able to add a 211K single room HD receiver for $50. This receiver can be turned into a DVR by adding an external HD and paying dish the one time $40.00 activation fee. Note that if you already have an EHD on your 722 you can not swap them back and forth. Also there is no additional fee for HD service over and above what you are already paying to dish (if you qualify you should be receiving HD for life at this point any way which eliminated the $10/month HD fee. You would still pay the $10.00 for platinum service as that is extra). You will pay a monthly lease fee for the second receiver.
Just a thought,and of course I have no idea what your TV viewing habits are, but will you spend enough time watching your 2nd tv to justify either switching to Direct or adding an HD receiver from Dish to make it worth it? I guess what I am saying is if you didn't feel it necessary to upgrade your second TV 2 years ago when you had Dish installed then maybe having HD on your second set isn't that big a deal??? We currently have a 722 hooked up to an HD set in the den and we also have an hd set as TV 2 however we don't spend enough time watching tv2 to justify the extra cost of an HD receiver for that TV. Just an opinon

Good Luck in what ever you decide

Ross

Do you need to use a DECA? Can I just connect an either cable from both receivers to my router?

MRV runs over the coax with a DECA set up. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all. If you want to use VOD you do need to be connected to a router. The DECA install won't be free it's kind of pricey. Most pay $150 + $25 and some newbies are charged another $50. Long term customers usually only $100 total.

Deca was included free with my new install. This was installed less than 2 weeks ago. I just ordered MRV and they installed a DECA downstairs by the HR24

Hi,
Just curious what receiver did you request when you called Dish? The only one I am aware of that might cost $200.00 for an upgrade is a VIP922 and unless you plan on watching TV away from home, and have really good broadband upload speeds it's probably not what you are looking for. If you have DHPP and are a customer that has been paying on time, especially auto pay, you should be able to up grade/add a receiver for a lot less than that. You should be able to add a 211K single room HD receiver for $50. This receiver can be turned into a DVR by adding an external HD and paying dish the one time $40.00 activation fee. Note that if you already have an EHD on your 722 you can not swap them back and forth. Also there is no additional fee for HD service over and above what you are already paying to dish (if you qualify you should be receiving HD for life at this point any way which eliminated the $10/month HD fee. You would still pay the $10.00 for platinum service as that is extra). You will pay a monthly lease fee for the second receiver.
Just a thought,and of course I have no idea what your TV viewing habits are, but will you spend enough time watching your 2nd tv to justify either switching to Direct or adding an HD receiver from Dish to make it worth it? I guess what I am saying is if you didn't feel it necessary to upgrade your second TV 2 years ago when you had Dish installed then maybe having HD on your second set isn't that big a deal??? We currently have a 722 hooked up to an HD set in the den and we also have an hd set as TV 2 however we don't spend enough time watching tv2 to justify the extra cost of an HD receiver for that TV. Just an opinon

Ross

$200 for VIP 722 and $500 for 922. Plus an extra $7/month for the extra receiver. I called 3 different times just to make sure.

Hi,

Ross

Having Hd on the 2nd set is a big deal to me. It is the main reason I am doing this. Standard def just looks awful on an HD set and there is so much more HD content out there these days. Plus I get free install, a HDDVR, and HD receiver, a comparable package, $35 first 10 months than $45 months 10-12 and $55 for the second year. Pretty hard to beat. I am a sports junkie as well and Directv has a few more options. That being said. If he/she doesn't come to my door with a HR 24 and H24, I will most likely turn them away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)