Question about the motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
I know many questions have been asked about motor install...
Before I get one, I just want to understand something.

-What if I cannot reach my true south satellite?

My longitude is 75.72 (G4R?) but where my dish is (on condo wall) I won't reach it...
The side of the dish will touch the wall around 82-83-84.. not sure yet.

Is it possible to set up the motor and manage to follow the part of the arc available to me? (All the other side is free)

1). you may find a mount that'll move the dish out more from the wall than you think, giving you more swing-room.
2). yes, to your question as worded - you can still aim on and track part of the arc.
3). town houses, condos, and apartments usually preclude you from mounting to any part of the structure.

Ok thanks. ( I own the condo and my dish is already installed)

Well, the dish will touch the wall AND I'll have some LOS problem so.... :(
Then I have to pick the next best, closer to my true south I guess...? What happens if you're off 6-7 degrees to your true south?

most receivers have USALS, which allows you to enter your latitude & longitude. What people who dont have a True South satellite or in your case, not one accessible, they put in the lat/long and tell the dish to move to X satellite THEN aim the dish/motor. It will track the arc properly.

So as an example, put in your lat/long and tell the motor to move to IA6 (93.0W). Let the motor move and then aim for that satellite :)

most receivers have USALS, which allows you to enter your latitude & longitude. What people who dont have a True South satellite or in your case, not one accessible, they put in the lat/long and tell the dish to move to X satellite THEN aim the dish/motor. It will track the arc properly.

So as an example, put in your lat/long and tell the motor to move to IA6 (93.0W). Let the motor move and then aim for that satellite :)

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. I am located at 81.15W Closest to that one is Nimiq2 which is a circularly polarized bird. I hadn't even thought about telling the USALS to go to say 87West, and then aiming for that bird. Cool idea! I'm going to be moving my motorized dish in the next couple of weeks to try fix up a line-of-sight issue with the 30W to 61W birds. I might just end up using that trick to get it fine tuned! Thanks Iceberg!

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. I am located at 81.15W Closest to that one is Nimiq2 which is a circularly polarized bird. I hadn't even thought about telling the USALS to go to say 87West, and then aiming for that bird. Cool idea!

you might want ot aim for 79W just because the transponders are stronger there and might be easier to aim the dish. But if you know where to aim for 87W then that point is moot :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)