Question about the new remote

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
On the new H3 remote (regular, not voice activated) is there a way to program a special key? On my old remote I was able to take a key and assign it the function of a key from my Samsung remote (in this case the sleep timer) that didn't offer that exact function.

I don't even remember exactly how I did it on the old one other than it was a series of keys that needed to be pressed.

Thanks.

On the new H3 remote (regular, not voice activated) is there a way to program a special key? On my old remote I was able to take a key and assign it the function of a key from my Samsung remote (in this case the sleep timer) that didn't offer that exact function.

I don't even remember exactly how I did it on the old one other than it was a series of keys that needed to be pressed.

Thanks.

The 52.0 remote does not have any programmable buttons.

Any button on the 52.0 remote (when in TV, DVD or AUX mode) can learn any function of a button on the original device remote just like on the 40.0 remote

Reactions: charlesrshell
Since no one replied, I played around with the "learn" function in the settings. I got it to learn the button I wanted but then it lost the general settings for my TV (On, Off etc.) I reset the general settings and now I can't get it to "learn" the other button again even though I cleared all settings.

Anyone?

In TV or AUX mode (not SAT), any single key on the Hopper 3 52.0 remote can be programmed to match any one key from another remote, like the manufacturer's remote. Here's how:
1. Get into Settings (e.g., press the Home key twice then choose Settings), then choose Remote Control.
2. Under the DEVICES heading, choose TV for TV mode or Auxiliary Device for AUX mode, then press Select.
3. Choose TEACH COMMANDS.
4. Choose either ADD COMMANDS or CLEAN SLATE. The latter wipes out all previous button assignments, so be careful!
5. Follow the instructions on screen.

With AUX, it's a little more complicated, because before you can choose TEACH COMMANDS, you have to remember whether you initially chose "Audio Amplifier", "Audio Accessory", "Audio Receiver", Television, or DVD when you first paired the remote to control this mode. For pairing to control my Sony home theater system, I had to search under all three "Audio" options to make AUX work, and the best solution was to search for the model of my home theater receiver, then ADD COMMANDS for other functions.

In both TV and AUX modes, I found that not every button on the 52.0 was programmable, and not every command from another remote could be picked up. Still, in about an hour, I got enough of the essential buttons to be satisfied with just the 52.0 remote. Here's a hint when programming commands: don't forget the Up, Down, Left, and Right and Select buttons!

Reactions: dukiebluedoc
Thanks for replying. All of that is exactly what I did. Originally, the first button I choose didn't work so I tried a different one. That worked but then I lost all the other remote functions for matching the remote TV such as turning the TV and Joey on at the same time. When I re-memorized the remote I lost the saved button and now I can't get it back.

So I know the button I choose can be programmed but I can't get it to work again. I feel like I'm missing something. The button I want to use (although I tried several others at your suggestion) is the back arrow X at the bottom left. The button I want from my Samsung remote is the sleep timer. There is another way to get at that but it involves several menus whereas this is sort of like a short cut button. I've tried all sorts of On and Off combos with the infrared, HDMI-CEC etc. and nothing seems to matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts