Question about transferring a recorded program to my DVD player

Dopeness

Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Hello,

I was wondering how I could burn a program previously recorded on my DVR database onto a hard copy (DVD). I connected the two systems together (the dish and DVD player) and inserted my blank DVD into the burner. It said it was recording but it didn't produce anything when I tried playing the DVD.

My dish model is 942.

Thanks

Take some time and read other postings on this site.
Your USB port is worthless; non-functional.

You may as well plug it into your car's cigarette lighter... you'll get the same results.

He never said he used USB, wasii.

Dopness, how did you hook them together. Is this a stand alond DVD Player/Recorder? Been thorough with it's instructions. What Brand?

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder/player and a 942. I use the #1 RCA's out for the DVD and the HDMI to the TV. Works OK, to bad you cannot record 5.1 audio.

Dopeness said:
Hello,

I was wondering how I could burn a program previously recorded on my DVR database onto a hard copy (DVD). I connected the two systems together (the dish and DVD player) and inserted my blank DVD into the burner. It said it was recording but it didn't produce anything when I tried playing the DVD.

My dish model is 942.

Thanks

:welcome Dopeness

The key is, maybe this is obvious so sorry, to be playing back the previously recorded program AND make sure that it's playing back through the TV out you are connecting the DVD recorder to.

I had a similar question: I am upgrading my 508 and would like to pull shows off onto my PC for transfer to DVD.
I planned on connecting my 508 to my ATI's VIVO ports on the PC which are component and also to my Audigy sound card. Then I was just going to "play" the shows into the capture software (Nero). Are there any protection schemes that may block this? Thanks!

The USB on the 942 can be used to connect to the Dish Player series. You can download a movie from the 942 to the Dish Player in about 10 minutes. Very nice feature.

510 transfer to PC

emtownsend said:
I had a similar question: I am upgrading my 508 and would like to pull shows off onto my PC for transfer to DVD.
I planned on connecting my 508 to my ATI's VIVO ports on the PC which are component and also to my Audigy sound card. Then I was just going to "play" the shows into the capture software (Nero). Are there any protection schemes that may block this? Thanks!

I am doing similar to that with my 510 and an ATI X800 All In Wonder card. I am using the SVideo port for best resolution from the 510. I use the AIW media software to do the capture to a file. I then burn these videos to DVDs. No problems with protection schemes. :up

510 DVR
Abit IC7 MB
Intel 2.8Ghx OC'ed to 3.5 Ghz
ATI X800 AIW
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
750 Gb SATA (it 1 TB far behind?)
WinXP Pro

Uther Pendragon said:
I am doing similar to that with my 510 and an ATI X800 All In Wonder card. I am using the SVideo port for best resolution from the 510. I use the AIW media software to do the capture to a file. I then burn these videos to DVDs. No problems with protection schemes. :up

Thanks for the tip on the media software. Not sure if my card came with that though. It does do Video In/Out but that's all I know. I guess it is time to check out the CD that came with it!

The obvious problem is that you can't output HDMI/Component and RCA at the same time if connected to TV1.

If you are using TV1 out:
You have to press the TV/VIDEO button to switch to the RCA outputs. This will leave you blind, so make sure you get over the START button before switch the output or actually using TV2 output would be a better option.

TV2: You can use the RCA outs here and still watch TV1 while recording saved events to DVD. You could connect a small TV to the Set 2 out (21-69) so you could navigate the menu's and know when the recording is complete.

Dopeness said:
Hello,

My dish model is 942.

Thanks

Need more info to answer this. What kind of dvd recorder is being used. What connections are being used? There are a number of things that can go wrong while you are making your copy. But as others have pointed out, there is nothing really to prevent it from being done. You'd probably be better served just going back thru your dvd recorder instruction manual and trying it again and trying to figure out where you went wrong.

Mark_AR said:
The obvious problem is that you can't output HDMI/Component and RCA at the same time if connected to TV1.

If you are using TV1 out:
You have to press the TV/VIDEO button to switch to the RCA outputs. This will leave you blind, so make sure you get over the START button before switch the output or actually using TV2 output would be a better option.

TV2: You can use the RCA outs here and still watch TV1 while recording saved events to DVD. You could connect a small TV to the Set 2 out (21-69) so you could navigate the menu's and know when the recording is complete.

Mark_AR, I don't believe this is true for the 942, at least not in single mode. I'm using all of the outputs of my 942, and they all output at the same time - no switching necessary. HDMI to my projector, Component to my HD RPTV, Composite to my DVD recorder and RF (TV2) to my home video distribution system (channel 94).

OP, make sure your input on the DVD recorder is selected properly (sometimes there are 2 or 3 inputs) and monitor the recording through the DVD recorders' output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)