question about VIP722

mcf57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I am possibly interested in subscribing to DISH Network's new HD only programming ($29.99/month) and also getting the DISH VIP722 receiver to view it on.

I examined the brochure online and had a question about some of its outputs on the back of the unit. There is a yellow color output titled "home distribution (ch21-69 OUT)". What exactly is this output used for? From the description, it seems like it has something to do with the TV2 output function. I am assuming the description of "1 Agile modulated coaxial output to distribute programming to a remote TV location" is referring to this output. If so, why is it saying "ch21-69"? I'm a little confused by that cause I thought a receiver's output is normally set for ch3 or 4. Or is it just giving you more options to put the TV on?

Would it be possible to run the HD only programming to a 2nd standard definition TV in another room with these 2nd set of outputs via the coaxial connection? I realize it would be down converted, but just wondering.

Also, What would be the best way to integrate regular cable TV (ch2-76) with this receiver and the HD only programming I am referring to?

I have had a 722 for about 2 months and I am not an expert. However, you are correct. The home distribution output basically transmits a modulated signal that you connect to TV2 (you can use existing in home wiring if it is there). The setup allows you to select a channel; that is why the ch21-69 is shown. You can also select cable or off air modulation.....I have mine output to a combiner that also includes my OTA antenna. I changed the setting to output antenna modulation, and that way I can tune to the 722 (SD) or OTA simply by changing the channel on TV2. I found that the ability to change the channel output is useful, as the default was too close to one of my OTA and created some interference.

As to your second question: You can view HD programming on the second TV however it is all down converted to SD. It may be possible, if you run the receiver in single mode, to run the TV1 component outputs (there is only one HDMI out) to TV2 and view HD that way, though I have no experience with this yet.

Your final question: I think you can use a combiner of some sort, similar to what I have done to combine the 722 coax output with your existing cable. HOWEVER, as with antenna connections I think you need to somehow block the signal the reciever is sending so that it is not transmitted back upstream into the cable system. A super home node or similar may work but I am not sure with cable frequencies. Someone else with more expertise may be able to help more on this one.

Hope this helps.

John

To fine tune the answer to the third question. You can select the channels you want to send to the other tv. By being able to change the actual channel number and the type of signal, you can incorporate the channel into your existing lineup. This way you don't have to worry about shutting off the receiver just to view your other source. Note: a combiner is a basic splitter used in reverse. Also, these receiver also do not use 3 or 4 due to all the vcr's and dvd players/recorders that use those numbers.

I believe that through the home distribution, you can modulate 2 separte channels for tuner 1 & tuner 2. This will allow program on both tuners to be watched by all connected tv's..........but it would be sd only.

what's the difference between vip 622 & 722?

I'm wondering what the REAL difference between 622 & 722 is other than larger harddrive?

I'm wondering what the REAL difference between 622 & 722 is other than larger harddrive?

If I remember correctly, the 622 cannot do Dish Online downloads in HD, while the 722 can. Ofcourse none of those movies are HD now, and unless they make major improvements to that service, it weill never be a meaningful difference. So yeah, bigger hard drive is about it, but it is nice to have!

Oh yeah, and the box is black instead of silver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)