Question about Whole-home/communicating with other DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

huckyourmeat

Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Denver
Hey guys, first of all, a quick thanks to everyone on the forum. I haven't participated a lot, but I've spent a ton of time on the forums prior to having D* installed on Friday. Your help has been invaluable and minimized any surprises, helped me choose the right equipment, etc. Here is my setup:

Media Room- HR24-200
Living Room- HR24-200
Bedroom- H24-200

I've been spending the weekend learning and exploring the new interface. Overall, I've been happy, but I have one lingering question regarding communicating between the different DVRs. All are connected and I can see the programming from one on the other, but I am having trouble figuring out how to (or if it's possible to):

1. Change a recording from one DVR to the other DVR without having to manually delete it from one and manually record it on the other. I like the idea of this because one TV is used a lot more than the other, so I'm setting most of the recordings to the less-used one.
2. Set a recording to the media room DVR from the living room DVR (can you actually do this, or can you only set it to record to the DVR you're setting the recording on?)
3. Manage, change recording settings, delete series recordings, etc. on any DVR other than the one for which I'm holding the remote (or from the H24)?
4. If a conflict arises on the "network", will the system automatically move one of the programs to the other DVR, or do I have to do it manually?

Long story short: is this truly a networked setup, whereby you can set, manage, change, etc recordings from anywhere in the house, or is it more of a media server setup where you can watch and delete shows once they're recorded, but physically have to go to the specific box to change recordings?

Thanks!
Corey

1) Can not do that
2) Yes can't remember the exact process without sitting in front of a multi dvr set up.
3)Yes but again, I would have to be sitting in front of it to show you
4) Depends, if you are recording 2 shows on 1 already, it will give you the option to record on the other. But if something happens like the DVR loses power or the cable gets disconnected then no.

It is a true network set up, but there are limitations.

Thanks for the info. If anyone else out there knows the process off the top of their head or can check it later, I'd really appreciate it! I tried checking a bunch of menus, settings, etc and couldn't find it. Also tried using the good old-fashioned google but no luck.

Hello All,

I too am new to sign up, but have monitored these forums for months which led me to change to D* from E* because of the disputes and other problems that Charlie has not kept the technology up with all the newer equipment.

This being said, I also have a MRV setup which was installed at the end of October, and I truly believe that D* is ahead on the technology curve , but with some limitations. One being that having 2 HD-DVR's that you cannot choose which DVR to record to FROM ANOTHER DVR unit. However, you can choose from the H-24 unit which DVR to record to. It should be so easy to add this to the next Firmware update for testing at least, if not incorporated to the HD-DVR systems along with Autotune which I liked with the 722 unit I used to have, and the H series of receivers have.

I do believe that my experience with both companies have been good, My install has been very well with D* and since my system has been installed, I have not had ANY rain fade issues like I used to with E* and even have better signal strength.

Corey,
On my whole-home DVR the answers are as follows:

1) NO - you can only play a recording on the unit that recorded it. This even holds true if you record shows using an external drive and then try to play them back on another receiver -- no go. Blame Hollywood, not D* for this limitation.

2) NO - you can only record on the receiver you are controlling directly. An option I use when I want to record to an alternate receiver is to use D*'s tv listings (My DirecTV Guide). When you are logged in there you can record any program to any DVR in your system (provided you don't have a conflict with an existing scheduled recording). You don't have to have your tuners connected to the internet for this to work, you just need your smart phone or PC connected to the internet to make this happen. D* sends the record instruction to your receiver via their satellite.

3) YES - on my setup I can delete a recording from my bedroom DVR from the front room, and I can do some changes to future recordings. On my setup you have to go to the "Upcoming" tab on an existing recording to manage future options. Again, you can't schedule recordings on a DVR other than the one you are working with.

4) ?? You have 2 tuners in each receiver that allows you to record 2 programs at a time while simultaneously watching an existing recording. The system does not "move" recordings around to available receivers.

What you have is a "network" where each receiver has it's own intelligence, but there is no "central" overall controller of what is being recorded. Once you get used to how it works I think you will be as pleased with your system as I am with mine.

Bob

Yes you can.
I forget how, but have done it at a customers house.

You can only choose the DVR to record to from an HD receiver, not a HD DVR. Dumb, but should be fixed in future software releases. It's one of the most requested MRV software fixes.

You can only choose the DVR to record to from an HD receiver, not a HD DVR. Dumb, but should be fixed in future software releases. It's one of the most requested MRV software fixes.

Weird, I could have sworn I did it from an HD/DVR but maybe I am wrong.
I don't often get an MRV install with 2+ DVR's (usually just MRV upgrades) so maybe I am mistaken.

I had 5 DVRs and had to pick up an HD receiver just so I could have centralized control. If they ever fix it so DVDs can control other DVDs I can drop the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.