Question about whole home DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pickle3808

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Ok... So I have two HR22s and an HR24 running currently in my house. All are connected via ethernet to my network. Also, I have a slimline dish with a non-swm LNB. All four outputs run to a SWM-8 and then I run one line to each of my receivers. That's all well and good and works just fine.

Do I have the correct setup for whole home DVR? Nothing else really needs to be done infrastructure-wise, correct?

Next, do i have to call Directv and actually pay a monthly fee to use this service??? Or am I wrong? It's seems silly that I would have to pay to access something that's recorded on another receiver. Is there any way around this? Or no?

Thanks

Yes you need to contact Directv to activate it, at $3/month. It will work over ethernet, without the DECAs, but I don't know if they still allow it that way. I know they don't support it.

They're gonna want to roll a tech to install decas on the boxes. As stated ethernet has not been supported for mrv since beta ended some years ago.. it is possible for it to work but the csr needs to be willing to bend a few rules to authorize it. If the csr tries to charge you a fortune to roll techs then buy 3 decas and 1 deca power supply. Hook one to your router the other to each box. Should only cost 40 or 50 bucks to buy them second hand.

Edit btw..
You need to pay the monthly fee there is no way to circumvent it and that would be illegal anyhow. I believe the fee is 5 $ now not 3 but I could be wrong. What you are paying for is the ability to stream content.

"easiest" and cheapest way around it if you can not get them to activate whole home would be to call and upgrade one of your DVRs to a 34 or 44, then they will send out a tech to "install" it and set up the whole home with the decas on the old dvrs and the power inserter and SWiM 16.

"easiest" and cheapest way around it if you can not get them to activate whole home would be to call and upgrade one of your DVRs to a 34 or 44, then they will send out a tech to "install" it and set up the whole home with the decas on the old dvrs and the power inserter and SWiM 16.

Agreed however they will more than likely try to convince you to swap to clients and not put the 16 in. DO NOT DO THIS, you will have a better experience keeping the dvrs you have, but swapping one to a genie would be a nice upgrade. You need to use the term genie when ordering, most csrs wouldnt know the difference between the 34 and 44. THats something you want to talk to your tech on site about.

An H20 can't do mrv. It doesn't have an ethernet port.

You should be able to still do it online under My Equipment - My Services - Whole-Home DVR, but only after your DECAs are installed and you tell DirecTV to add them to your equipment profile. So you may as well just call and do it all at once. Since I didn't want a new commitment or new DVRs, I just got all the DECAs I needed from ebay for about $25 total and installed them myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)