Question about wiring for new install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mountnbykr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Arizona
Hi,
I have my DirecTV install scheduled for tomorrow. I'm getting an HD DVR and another HD receiver with the multi-room DVR setup. My house originally was only wired with 2 coax outlets. The first outlet is being used for Comcast broadband. The previous owner added 2 more outlets by splitting the second line at the master bedroom (to reach the living room and another bedroom).

When Dish Network was installed, they removed the splitter from the master bedroom so my TV in the living room would work and disconnected the 2 bedrooms which weren't being used. (only had 1 TV at the time) Now I have a TV in my bedroom that I need to use with the 2nd HD receiver.

Unless DirecTV can use a splitter or switch in the master bedroom, it looks like I'll need to run a direct line to my master bedroom. If this is correct, is this usually included in an installation or considered custom? The bedroom's exterior wall is the same side of the house that the dish is going to be installed on. Ideally I'd like it run through the attic space above the adjacent rooms so I don't have to run it over a doorway in my bedroom.

I'm thinking maybe I should just run that extra cable myself and try to get it done before the installer arrives tomorrow? First I want to make sure that they can't just use a splitter with my existing wiring. (and see if that work would normally be included in an install - I'm thinking not if it's run through the attic)

Thanks,
Chris

With SWM technology, a splitter can be used.

If for some reason the existing wiring will not work, wiring in a new outlet is included.
However, if you want it ran through the attic and down a wall, you could come in to some custom labor.
Standards for this charge could change depending on what company is doing the install but the standard is about $50.
I would just let the tech do the work though as a lot of the cabling out there is inferior and if you do not what to look for, you could be just installing wire that needs to get replaced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts