Question - Combining OTA and SAT to TV2

kjspylite

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
Thanks in advance to any person willing to help me out!

current set up:

622 downstairs
TV1 downstairs
antenna in attic with coax ran down to 622
TV2 output is upstairs using existing home wiring.

I just installed a tv upstairs and reciving SAT from the 622 and the existing home wiring (Coax).

Question:

Can I use a splitter/combiner to combine the signal of the TV2 output with my antenna in my attic and feed both signals to my TV2 on one cable?

I was hoping this would allow me to get my local HD channels on TV2. So for example, I could hit 12.1 (Richmond, VA's local NBC) and watch a local HD channel and go to channel 75 (where SAT TV2 output is set) to watch my SAT.

That's what I'm doing. I just have an ordinary splitter hooked up in reverse to feed the two signals together (the OTA and the TV2 modulated output). Works like a champ as I can tune to either the OTA stations using the tv or the satellite by tuning to 62 (in my case...in yours it would be 75).

Where TV1 is, do you have existing home COAX wiring?

If so, then yes, you could combine the OTA with your satellite TV2 out and just plug it in to the existing COAX wiring where your TV1 is. It will eventually make it around to your your TV2.

Depending on how long the run of your existing home wiring though, things might look a little grainy on your TV2. You might need to get some sort of amplifier.

Are you getting your locals via satellite? If you are, then you do not really have a need to combine things, unless your TV2 is HD and you want the HD signal. With that being said though, the TV2 off of your 622 is SD only.

This is essentially exactly my setup other than I have locals via satellite, so I did not combine the signals back again. Also, instead of running the OTA from the attic to my satellite receiver, I just ran it to my dish, and combined things there. I do have to split things back out again at my receiver though. I still get 100% reading on all my OTA but 1 I believe and even then it usually hovers around 94.

Yes, I have existing home wiring at TV1. I guess what you are saying, is combine it at TV1 and have both signals go through the existing home coax. This would probably end up being a long run. I think what im trying to do might be a little easier. I would combine the signals in the attic, just a few feet from TV2. the OTA signal would come from my antenna, also in the attic.

I get my locals from my antenna, not SAT.

heres a follow up question:

would splitting my antenna signal weaken my signal?

Ah, I did not catch that you wanted to combine the signals in your attic. Then yes, for TV2, that would probably be the best as it would be a short run.

Would splitting the signal weaken it - yes. How much really depends on your OTA antenna and the length of the run.

With the upcoming digital OTA conversion it might not be as big a deal.

Just wanted to post my update and write a conclusion for future reference/visitors.

I installed the splitter backwards, with the TV2 signal (fm modulated signal from SAT box using exisiting home coax) and a line from my ANT, with an output to my TV2, and everything works perfectly. I get all of my local channels (in HD!) and can watch SAT on TV2.

One quick note...I used a couple different splitters. I had a couple lying around and tried to use those. I kept getting some interference when I combined TV2 and ANT into the splitter. I eventually purchased a very cheap Phillips splitter from Wal-Mart and that did the trick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)