Question for experienced FTA'ers - how long does it take you to get signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exactly. I can spend more than 15 min tweaking and re-tweaking the LNBF trying to get both, the way I want it and the maximum signal. May have it on the first try, but the tinkering part of me want to try to get it better.
Also, sometimes you get it in your mind that the signal should be in a place where it isn't because you have misread or have inacurate markings on your dish.

Best thing a newbie can do is IGNORE elevation maks on dishes, IMO. Only scale I pay any attention to is the latitude scale on my motor brackets. I think that was a major help to me that I started with homebrew dishes and mounts in that there ARE no markings. I HAD to learn how to aim by SIGNAL, not by some marking that may or may not be right. :)

So here's the question for the old hands here - when you're setting up a new dish on a new mast in a place where you've never put a dish before, how long on average does it take you to lock? 5 minutes? 15? 30? an hour?

Under a minute, assuming of course that I remember to correctly SKEW the dish (or feedhorn/LNB) like I FORGOT to do last night :rolleyes:

Best thing a newbie can do is IGNORE elevation maks on dishes, IMO. Only scale I pay any attention to is the latitude scale on my motor brackets. I think that was a major help to me that I started with homebrew dishes and mounts in that there ARE no markings. I HAD to learn how to aim by SIGNAL, not by some marking that may or may not be right. :)
I agree that on some cheaper dish's (and once in awhile on quality dishs) the elevation markers are incorrect. if you want to be accurate use one of those magnetic angle finders that attach to the lnb arm, those will be 100% and cost less then $10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)