Question for install tomorrow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NYRANGERS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Manahawkin, NJ
Hey Everyone,

Just have a few questions for my install tomorrow.

1: Does the installer come with the recievers I ordered or should those have come to my house from D* before the install date?

2: Would it help out the installer if I run cable from the jacks to where I want the recievers instead of moving all the furnature?

3: Do you tip an installer? If so whats a ballpark tip?

Thanks,

You decide if the work deserves a gratuity. Personally, I never expect a tip.
If you need to know , usually 10 or 20 dollars is what I recieve.
You shpould allow the tech to do his owrk
You can move the furniture where the tv's are located. Remove all breakables from work areas. If you have a distribution panel in a closet ,the tech must access that so remove any clothing from the racks and/or items off the floor.
As far as I know the equipemnt is brought by the tech.
Do not run the cable unless you have 3ghz rated RG-6 cable. The tech is paid ofr this. If you need wallfishes and you want to save yourself the $$ to pay for them, do them yourself. Make sure you hvae home runs from the outlet to the d-mark( your electric meter).

1. The installers bring receivers now. Years ago D* used to send all the equipment first,then the installer would just come out. But to many "light" packages would show up at the doorstep, If you know what I mean.;)
  2. You could pre wire if you like ,I would be a faster install if all he has to do is hook up a Dish. But your not getting paid to do it, you payed for someone else to do it.
  3. I tip anywhere from $10-$50 depending on the amout of time he was there, working VS amount of time he was there BSing. Also if he seems like he wants to be there and not just complain,and do the easiest thing possible . Plus the D* techs in my area are paid by the job, So I don't mind Tipping them a little extra. The E* Tech are paid by the Hour, Which is nice because they take their time, But I don't tip them as much because of it.

Hey Everyone,

Just have a few questions for my install tomorrow.

1: Does the installer come with the recievers I ordered or should those have come to my house from D* before the install date?

2: Would it help out the installer if I run cable from the jacks to where I want the recievers instead of moving all the furnature?

3: Do you tip an installer? If so whats a ballpark tip?

Thanks,

1. The installer will bring the rec's.

2. Unless you have enough cable (RG-6) to run from your rec. location to the place that the installer will place the ground block and are SURE of it, I would say No .... however, having the furnature moved out will be a plus.

3. If the installer dos an excellent job to your satisfaction, Sure, why not.
How much, depends on you ... was he helpful and explained everything to your satisfaction, showed you how it all works ect.

Make sure your sat signals are in the 80 and up range before he leaves, 90+ is better.
ps. you will have some that are normally lower and some a 0 thats normal, but the majority should be 90's area.

Jimbo

Install is in progress as I type this. Installer said they have me down as a VIP install and he will be using a SWM so no need to run another line to the DVR. He can just use the 6 lines that are there for the 6 recievers. He also said he has a very good line of site as I live one house in from a corner and have no trees in any yards around me. We will see how this goes.

Last edited:
Install is in progress as I type this. Installer said they have me down as a VIP install and he will be using a SWM so no need to run another line to the DVR. He can just use the 6 lines that are there for the 6 recievers. He also said he has a very good line of site as I live one house in from a corner and have no trees in any yards around me. We will see how this goes.

Sounds good so far, any update ?

Jimbo

From him getting here to leaving was about 3 hours. Got the Slimline on the roof. SWM on the side. It was nice with only one line to the DVR. He also did an awesome job of running the line down under the siding as to expose no wires.

While he was doing that 2 more guys showed up in a white van with DirecTV shirts on with the receivers and they started setting those up. Real helpful guys. The one guy was in training so he was still learning the ropes. My installer stayed and walked him through some steps.

Only problem was after they left i realized 2 of the receivers didn't get all the channels when I called D* they said they were activated to an account that was one number off of my account number so they just activated them to mine.

I signed up for all my rebates. Good to go now. Its been a blast so far. Just got to memorize a new channel lineup. Overall I think I had an awesome installed and the 2 guys who came were great too. Shame was I thought that just the installer was going to be here so I only had as much cash as I was gonna tip him so I wound up just splitting it and giving everyone $10.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the past few weeks with all my questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts