Question for long-time DirecTV customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I am considering making the jump from Dish Network, which I've had for about 5 years, to Direct TV. Mostly it's because I want the whole-house DVR service, I like Sunday ticket, and I'm annoyed that Dish Network wants me to pay $200 to upgrade to a 922 receiver.

I called and found out I could get the programming packages and services I want for 62.99 a month for one year, after which time the price jumps to 98.99 a month. I'm currently paying 79 a month to Dish (pre-tax), so this will be a savings for a year, followed by significantly more expensive.

My question to DirecTV customers is whether they offer discounts to existing customers, and how often you have to call to get a better deal. 99 a month seems over-priced to me, so if they are firm on that price I probably won't switch.

Thanks for the info.
Tom

Exactly what package and equipment do you have now, and exactly what package and equipment do you want with D*?

well, it's not an apples to apples comparison. I have a 722 box with Dish Network, which I have rigged to control 3 TVs (run an HDMI to the living room TV, run a long component cable to the bedroom TV, so both are considered TV1, then run another TV with the 722s antenna), plus I have another HD receiver in the den.

My cuurent Dish Network charges are as follows:
America's Top 200 $59.99
HD Solo Receiver $7.00
DVR Service $6.00
Protection Plan (15) $6.00
HD 200 Free $0.00
Starz - 30th Anniv $0.00
Monthly Charges
$78.99

With DirecTV, I would be getting choice ultimate, HD, whole-house DVR, one HD DVR box and 3 HD boxes. I was quoted a 12 month price of 62.99 for that followed by 98.99/month.

So I'm trying to find out if it will really by 99/month after a year, or if I can call in and get it down to 80 or 85 or something, and how much work it is to lower the price.

The only difference between Choice Ultimate and Choice Xtra (for 5 bucks cheaper) is the Encore Channels and Movie Channel

You're going from 3 tuners (with Dish) to technically 5 with Directv (since the DVR has two tuners)...so there is a difference there

i was going to do the choice ultimate for the first year because they are giving you the sunday ticket for free right now if you get ultimate or premier. Otherwise I'd get the Xtra.

Just wondering if they are willing to drop the price at all for existing customers. The CSR said that I could call in a year and they might be willing to give me a deal, but he seemed willing to say anything to get me to sign up.

After you complete your obligation you are on the hook for the "list" price. Why should you pay anything less? If you don't like the deal, don't take it!

Why not do the same thing you did with Dish and run two TVs to one box? Use component for one TV and HDMI for the other. You can do the same with your other HD box and now you will only be leasing 2 boxes instead of 4. This alone will knock off $12. Of course you will not be able to view a different program on yours second TV connected to each box, but that was the same situation when you had 2 TVs connected to TV1 with Dish

There are valid reasons to switch to Direct, just as there are to switch to Dish. Wanting Sunday ticket I understand, but being annoyed at paying for a 922 I don't agree at all. It's not like take that or live with an inferior receiver, in fact many will tell you they would rather have the 722K. There are many more who like the 612 in each room as the best solution. My point it Dish treats the 922 as a premium receiver, above and beyond the normal deal, but the 722K is honestly a great receiver at virtually no cost to upgrade for many.

I have said many times, I have yet to see a major difference in cost of packages of similar channels between Dish and Direct, after the promotion period. I usually say that when someone tries to say Dish is more expensive, but it works both ways. I would check again and see what you get now with Dish and what you would be getting after the promotion with Direct. If Direct is substantially more I'm betting you are getting more.

Because I don't happen to see the big deal of whole house I can't comment on how important that might be, but of course if it is something you really want right now, then Direct has it, Dish has only promised it and shown the receiver, but at this point does not have it. I would also suggest reading the posts about it from those who have it. Seemed to me to be a mixed bag. Some say it does not work as straghtforward as the commercial suggests, but there are those that really like it.

Last edited:
Of course he is getting more. Ultimate is not even close to the top 200. It is probably more equivalent to the top 250 package. Plus he is getting two services not offered on Dish, ST and MRV.

After you complete your obligation you are on the hook for the "list" price. Why should you pay anything less? If you don't like the deal, don't take it!

Well Chip, the CSR said I might pay less after the one year deal was over, so I wanted to know if it was true. Companies often have deals for existing customers that you'd only know about if you called and asked for it, so I wanted to know if people had called and asked for it.

I didn't know you could hook up to the DirecTV box with both HDMI and components. Thanks for the info, that will save me a bit.

i was going to do the choice ultimate for the first year because they are giving you the sunday ticket for free right now if you get ultimate or premier. Otherwise I'd get the Xtra.

Just wondering if they are willing to drop the price at all for existing customers. The CSR said that I could call in a year and they might be willing to give me a deal, but he seemed willing to say anything to get me to sign up.

Been with them for 3 years and never had any problems calling in and getting a discount.

I think that is not a bad deal, but you as some has stated can get deals after the 1st yr, and 2nd yr. And keeping the account in good standing will give you offers for free programming and equipment. Ultimate package is good, I have that package.

I pay the 70.99 for it, plus 4 receivers(2 HDDVR and 2 HD), Protection Plan, Starz, Sports pack, DVR, HD, etc... And pay about 129.00 before credits and any special packages(ala ST, MLB EI, etc...) and thats after taxes. I dont have auto bill so when i get that started in the next few months, my bill will go down by 10.00 a month.

As you can with Dish.

As he/she is already doing with dish.

The OP was not aware that all outputs were hot on the D* equipment as well. They are, so he/she can save some money off of what was stated in the OP.

To the OP, For what you want, even if you didnt do that, and you get sunday ticket, the price difference (all in) over the two years is slight. If you go the route as laid out here, and run HDMI and component and feed two TVs, then you wipe out the difference (maybe even save some, havent done the math), and gain programing and MRV to boot.

Just look it over again. It may not be worth it to you, but id pull the trigger if ST and MRV are something you want.

Well Chip, the CSR said I might pay less after the one year deal was over, so I wanted to know if it was true. Companies often have deals for existing customers that you'd only know about if you called and asked for it, so I wanted to know if people had called and asked for it.

They may give you some freebies, like Showtime or the Sportspack for 3 months, but that's about all you are likely to get until you are no longer under contract. Sorry if I seemed harsh!

They may give you some freebies, like Showtime or the Sportspack for 3 months, but that's about all you are likely to get until you are no longer under contract. Sorry if I seemed harsh!

I disagree with this 100%. I've been under contract the entire time I've had them because I added 2s HD DVRs one year into my first 2 year contract. I've gotten numerous $20 discounts for my base package. I've also never had any problems getting other discounts and I also received 2 free HD DVRs 1 year into my original 2 year contract. Slickdeals also has numerous posts of people getting much more than 3 month freebies while they are under contract. Yes, you may get even more after your contract is up but you can still get great discounts while under contract.

I disagree with this 100%. I've been under contract the entire time I've had them because I added 2s HD DVRs one year into my first 2 year contract. I've gotten numerous $20 discounts for my base package. I've also never had any problems getting other discounts and I also received 2 free HD DVRs 1 year into my original 2 year contract. Slickdeals also has numerous posts of people getting much more than 3 month freebies while they are under contract. Yes, you may get even more after your contract is up but you can still get great discounts while under contract.

I think your luck is better than most.

With DirecTV, I would be getting choice ultimate, HD, whole-house DVR, one HD DVR box and 3 HD boxes. I was quoted a 12 month price of 62.99 for that followed by 98.99/month.

Before you do this, you DO understand that on the WHD, with that one HD DVR you are getting, you can ONLY stream to ONE of the non-DVR receivers at any given time. (it CAN still playback a different show on the TV attached directly to it) Most people miss this "disclaimer" in the very fine print in D*'s brochures. The other 2 non-receivers would be limited to ONLY watching live TV out of their own (internal) tuners.

If you are going this route, you might want to seriously consider upgrading at least one of those other receivers to an HD DVR as well - while there would probably be a small one-time upgrade cost, the monthly cost is STILL going to be $6, regardless if a receiver is a DVR or not. The WHD willl still allow ALL DVR receivers to share recordings amongst themselves, while STILL allowing non-DVR receivers to watch ANY of the DVR's. Most people I deal with, after explaining the limitations of using non-DVR receivers w/WHD, elect to add more DVR's instead & REALLY are happy they did after they get it in!

So I'm trying to find out if it will really by 99/month after a year, or if I can call in and get it down to 80 or 85 or something, and how much work it is to lower the price.

You DO realize that regardless of what you get, you WILL be stuck on a 2-year contract. So if you think about it, WHY would D* (or any other provider) have ANY incentive to lower your pricing AFTER the 1-year promo period runs out. You're stuck regardless - unless you would want to just cancel, which then you will be stuck with an ETF... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)