Question for the brain trust

D. Manley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
United States
Present setup, 1 HWS w/ 2 Joeys. Since I have Comcast Internet I've always kept a minimal TV package consisting primarily of my local channels just as a "backup" for my DISH.

It occurs to me I can install an antenna & avail the OTA module ability & save a good deal of money over time by dropping the Comcast TV & keeping their Internet only.

My questions are:

(1) do you continue to receive the locals over satellite when using the OTA module & have the option how to watch them and if so,

(2) what is the channel selection method? I assume it's the same everywhere with the locals on satellite using channel numbers that correspond to the actual numbers so, how would select satellite or OTA?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

1. Yes

2. EPG. Sat locals are -00. OTA are -01, -02 etc. direct channel entry works too.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And when you use OTA it is another tuner, you record a local from OTA and any two other sat channels locals or otherwise. (Assuming you have at least a receiver with two sat tuners)

The OTA stations show up in your guide with a gold color vs the gray color for those coming from the satellite.

You'll find the Dish OTA Dongle to be a very good receiver. It's more sensitive and works better than any other OTA tuner I have.

Larry
SF

I would check with Comcast just to make sure that you're not getting a discount on your internet service because you subscribe to one of their video services. You may find out that the internet only price will cost more. Worth checking before you "cut the cord", so to speak.

My discount for Comcast internet was $15. When I dropped limited basic tv which had climbed over $20, my internet charges went up $15.

My discount for Comcast internet was $15. When I dropped limited basic tv which had climbed over $20, my internet charges went up $15.

I would check with Comcast just to make sure that you're not getting a discount on your internet service because you subscribe to one of their video services. You may find out that the internet only price will cost more. Worth checking before you "cut the cord", so to speak.

I've about had it with their incremental price gouging - paying more & more for less & less. If the change is not cost effective I'll dump the Internet as well.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts