Question for those who have 2 satellite services running

texansgal8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
san antonio tx
Ok remember iam very new to the satellite thing but i'm learning pretty fast. I was reading several posts about ppl who have like Direct tv and Voom together. My question is, if you have 2 services, do you basically have to run 2 different satellite dishes also??? I was asking because i only wanted D* to get the NFL sunday ticket but i live in an apartment so i'm not sure they would allow 2 satellite dishes or have the room for them.

Yes you would need two dish at least for both services. It would be worth while asking a licensed installer to do a site survey of your situation and they could tell you exactly what (if any) services you can receive from your location. Would cost around $30-50 but would save a load of hassle, otherwise let the installer/s find out the hard way when he/she shows up to do the install.

Should be OK for two dish also, I have seen loads of apartments with two dish. Have a look around and see if anyone else has two, this will also give you an idea if satellite TV is feasible for you right now. (tell them you need the two dish for local channels)

Grounding an apartment to local and NEC code is another kettle of fish that I will not go into in depth right now but lets just say it can be a challenge and is not always doable, so I would keep that in mind. To be safe it HAS to be done, alas many installers will go ahead and do the install un-grounded or not to code.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you, as I know what its like when you cant get satellite TV : )

PSB said:
Yes you would need two dish at least for both services. It would be worth while asking a licensed installer to do a site survey of your situation and they could tell you exactly what (if any) services you can receive from your location. Would cost around $30-50 but would save a load of hassle, otherwise let the installer/s find out the hard way when he/she shows up to do the install.

Should be OK for two dish also, I have seen loads of apartments with two dish. Have a look around and see if anyone else has two, this will also give you an idea if satellite TV is feasible for you right now. (tell them you need the two dish for local channels)

Grounding an apartment to local and NEC code is another kettle of fish that I will not go into in depth right now but lets just say it can be a challenge and is not always doable, so I would keep that in mind. To be safe it HAS to be done, alas many installers will go ahead and do the install un-grounded or not to code.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you, as I know what its like when you cant get satellite TV : )

Thank you for your answer. I guess i'll have to stick with only Voom for now. I assume mine is grounded well since i have not heard any thing from my apartment manager yet. I can only hope. :shocked

Actually if you lived in an apartment and had a patio you could mount the D* 3lnb dish on a heavily weighted stand and adjust the stand when you wanted voom to come in. Problem is only older customers can drop all D* programming and only recieve ST. They will require that you sub to one of their total choice packages.

vurbano said:
Actually if you lived in an apartment and had a patio you could mount the D* 3lnb dish on a heavily weighted stand and adjust the stand when you wanted voom to come in. Problem is only older customers can drop all D* programming and only recieve ST. They will require that you sub to one of their total choice packages.

Actually my Voom is mounted on the side of the wall. But that might be an idea for an extra dish...Thanks

It would be nice if Directv and VOOM were close to each other in position...but Directv is at 119-110-101....and VOOM is at 61.5. Too far apart. Two dishes needed.

I'm not too savey about all that coordinate stuff (61.5....110)
But my DTV dish points UP. As in "at the sky". My Voom dish points over yonder. As in "at the horizon".

Luckily the trees were all north, south, and west, cuz Voom is hard east from here in coastal Texas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)