Question For Va-va-voomers

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I have the basic services only at present but am looking to upgrade to Va-Va-Voom. But tonight when I was going through MOVIES LISTINGS I noticed the following:

The Movie Channel has "Donnie Brasco" on both 251 and 252 at the same time. Can I assume one is in HD? There is no HD logo beside the listing to indicate that it is.

Also, on STARZHD 261 "Pirates of The Caribbean" is showing while on STARZHD 262 "Chicago" is playing. Two good movies. But again, there is no HD logo beside the listings; a shame if at least one of them is not HD.

So, how reliable is the HD logo beside the listing......or lack of the HD logo?
Can I always assume that no HD logo simply means that it is not being shown in HD?

Tvlman said:
The Movie Channel has "Donnie Brasco" on both 251 and 252 at the same time. Can I assume one is in HD? There is no HD logo beside the listing to indicate that it is.

Also, on STARZHD 261 "Pirates of The Caribbean" is showing while on STARZHD 262 "Chicago" is playing. Two good movies. But again, there is no HD logo beside the listings; a shame if at least one of them is not HD.

So, how reliable is the HD logo beside the listing......or lack of the HD logo?
Can I always assume that no HD logo simply means that it is not being shown in HD?

I've had Voom since Feburary, and I can never remember a time when the HD logo was incorrect. So the answer to your question about Donnie Brasco is "no" there will be no HD broadcast of the movie this evening, even on the HD version of TMC.

actually it is HD, TMC listings are messed up as far as listing HD or not go, It never lists any movie as HD, and thats far from the truth. So, yes donnie brasco is in HD, it looks great and its OAR!!!

as far as Starz go, that is always correct, both chicago and PIrates are upconversion 1080i, they look very good but not quite as good as HD. check them out, you will not be dissapointed with the PQ and they are OAR

neo0285 said:
as far as Starz go, that is always correct, both chicago and PIrates are upconversion 1080i, they look very good but not quite as good as HD. check them out, you will not be dissapointed with the PQ and they are OAR

I am not watching them now, but I don't understand your statement. Both movies on StarzHD should be HD transfers from an analog source. They would be considered upconversions if they were either shot digital in less than HD or if the original transfer was to less than HD resolution.

andrzej said:
I am not watching them now, but I don't understand your statement. Both movies on StarzHD should be HD transfers from an analog source. They would be considered upconversions if they were either shot digital in less than HD or if the original transfer was to less than HD resolution.
Well, its a source from a dvd which is 480p and they upconvert to 1080i, so its not true hd. Its the same thing,as if you have the samsung hd931 dvd player, all it does is it takes a regular dvd and upconverts to 1080i.

neo0285 said:
Well, its a source from a dvd which is 480p and they upconvert to 1080i, so its not true hd. Its the same thing,as if you have the samsung hd931 dvd player, all it does is it takes a regular dvd and upconverts to 1080i.

Are you sure that they use DVD as their source? If that's the case you are, unfortunately, right. They should use HD transfers not DVDs.

I totally agree with you, they should use HD transfers, but an upconvert is still better that sd, and at least its oar. I think it has to do with contracts, cause some starz premieres show up in hd, and some dont, so it seems that starz cant always get the HD transfer, but they are a new in this HD business, and they will get better

Tvlman... channel 251 is the TMC HD channel, it never list any program as HD, you have to pot luck it... I have at 1 time or another seen all the premium movie channels (except TMC) list a movie as HD and it would not be... Encore more so than the rest... I've seen "Pirates of the Carribean" on STARZ and it sure looked HD to me... the bodies of the actors looked slim and trim and not stretched and puffy like you see on some TNT HD and ESPN HD from programs not made in HD...

Thanks guys for the information. I understand about STARZ but let me get this straight. The HD logo never shows up on The Movie Channel (TMC HD) even though some films are in HD? You just have to tune in and check it out? The obvious duplication of "Donnie Brasco" got me to wondering about this whole thing but why can't VOOM put "HD" on TMC HD?

Tvlman said:
Thanks guys for the information. I understand about STARZ but let me get this straight. The HD logo never shows up on The Movie Channel (TMC HD) even though some films are in HD? You just have to tune in and check it out? The obvious duplication of "Donnie Brasco" got me to wondering about this whole thing but why can't VOOM put "HD" on TMC HD?
According to Sean, the missing "HD" icon is a Zapit issue well known to many of us who have been complaining about this for a long time now.

Tvlman said:

It's not VOOM with the problem but Zap2it. Go to zap2it website and complaint to them. VOOM just get the guide data and uploads it. If it has no HD designation from zap2it then it will show up in our PG like that; Blame zap2it for incorrect data.

Tvlman said:
Thanks again for the information. I went to Zap2it and here's the place to report it:

Feedback@Zap2it.com.

Maybe if we all complain they will fix the issue.

Here's a few more things to complaint.

1- Show-HD (East & West) lose the HD designation from time to time.
2- TMC-HD has no designation (as we know)
3- We want more information on the PG. It is not enough description of the program. Some programs are without descriptions at all.
4- we want a "Premieres" designation when a program airs for the first time in the channel.
5- we want a "repeat" designation when it is repeat.
6- we want a "Live" designation when a program is broadcast live.
7-From time to time the Guide data is incorrect in Cinema 10 channels showimg incorrect movie titles. Yesterday this was evident in the "outrageous" movie on Divine HD and CFDA awards in Ultra.

I watched donnie brasco on TMCHD on friday I believe it was, and it was in High Definition. Looked great. I don't believe the guide said it would be.

now on the other hand, I started to watch one false move on EncoreHD on sunday. the guide said it was HD, but when it came to watching it, it wasn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts