Question for you fine folks

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
I'm thinking about adding another dual tuner to my system. If you look @ my signature, you'll see what equipment I currently have.

I currently have 2 cables run from my switch to my 622. My question to you is; should I upgrade to DPP equipment & lose the 2nd cable to my current 622 & use a splitter at that and a splitter @ the new one, or should I purchase another DP34 & cascade it to my current one & run a 2nd line to the room I wish to upgrade? The room I'm looking to upgrade is easy enough to get a 2nd line to, however, back when I built the house, the RG6 I used was the standard 2260(?)MHz & it's not all that easy to replace the main run w/ the 3000MHz that seems to be recommended for the DPP44, power inserter, and newer LNB's...

Has anyone cascaded the DP34's, if so, any problems doing that?

Thanks for reading!

"Has anyone cascaded the DP34's, if so, any problems doing that?"

No problems at all. You could also add a DPP44 switch and then you can run single cable to the dual tuner receivers. If you use the DPP44 switch, you'll have an extra port for future use. The problem is that they're more expensive than the DP34.

If you go with a DP34, just connect the SAT OUT from the first DP34 switch to SAT IN of the second one.

https://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/dp34_02.jpg

You might also split the difference (in price between a DPP44 and another DP34) and cascade a DPP33 off your existing DP34. That's assuming you don't need that 4th LNB input...

Or if you're really really cheap, and have some skills with electronics, you can do as I did. I bought a DPP twin and cannibalized it for it's internal switch, and cascaded that off my DP34. ;) I think I paid less than $25 for a brand new DPP twin, but I don't remember exactly. In any case, I'll bet you can pick one up for less than another DP34. If Dish had such a switch available as a separate device, it would be called a DPP32.

Edit: BTW - Last night I discovered (while swapping out the smart card on my 501) that a DP34 absolutely positively must be supplied with power or else it's feedthrough ports aren't active. A DP34 must have some amps in there... I have a 722 and a 625 on the two outputs of my homemade DPP32, but they lost signal when my 501 restarted. My 501 is the only receiver connected to my DP34.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about adding another dual tuner to my system. If you look @ my signature, you'll see what equipment I currently have.

I currently have 2 cables run from my switch to my 622. My question to you is; should I upgrade to DPP equipment & lose the 2nd cable to my current 622 & use a splitter at that and a splitter @ the new one, or should I purchase another DP34 & cascade it to my current one & run a 2nd line to the room I wish to upgrade? The room I'm looking to upgrade is easy enough to get a 2nd line to, however, back when I built the house, the RG6 I used was the standard 2260(?)MHz & it's not all that easy to replace the main run w/ the 3000MHz that seems to be recommended for the DPP44, power inserter, and newer LNB's...

Thanks for reading!
Cost/Performance wise, I agree, go with the 34 switch (unless the time you spend running that extra line is worth more than the cost difference, but it seems that is not the case). I have found 34 switches to be much more stable than 44 switches, and I have cascaded them many times without problems. This is by far your best bet given your situation.
You might also split the difference (in price between a DPP44 and another DP34) and cascade a DPP33 off your existing DP34. That's assuming you don't need that 4th LNB input...

Or if you're really really cheap, and have some skills with electronics, you can do as I did. I bought a DPP twin and cannibalized it for it's internal switch, and cascaded that off my DP34. ;) I think I paid less than $25 for a brand new DPP twin, but I don't remember exactly. In any case, I'll bet you can pick one up for less than another DP34. If Dish had such a switch available as a separate device, it would be called a DPP32.

Edit: BTW - Last night I discovered (while swapping out the smart card on my 501) that a DP34 absolutely positively must be supplied with power or else it's feedthrough ports aren't active. A DP34 must have some amps in there... I have a 722 and a 625 on the two outputs of my homemade DPP32, but they lost signal when my 501 restarted. My 501 is the only receiver connected to my DP34.
You could solve this pretty easily by throwing any 18VDC power inserter on another line leading to the 34 switch. Problem solved.

Thanks for reading!

I've got two of them cascaded as we speak. Two lines to my 622, two more to my 722 and a single to my 508. It has never been a problem.

You could solve this pretty easily by throwing any 18VDC power inserter on another line leading to the 34 switch. Problem solved.
Indeed. Lacking a power inserter, but having an otherwise-useless 111 with a high balance sold to me by a no good lousy fraudulent bum on ebay, I've been thinking I could just attach that... I wonder if it would survive the temp extremes in my attic?

I've been running this way for years, and last night is the first time I discovered the unpowered-DP34 problem. So it's not a very big deal.

Indeed. I've been running this way for quite some time, so it's only rarely a problem. Lacking a power inserter, but having an otherwise-useless 111 with a high balance sold to me by a no good lousy fraudulent bum on ebay, I've been thinking I could just attach that... I wonder if it would survive the temp extremes in my attic?

You can just run another cable to one of your rooms and keep the receiver running. I wouldn't put the 111 in the attic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)