Question HD Puerto Rico

SoftwrDude

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Hi all,

I currently have the HD pak in PR (only 5 hd channels) and I have a dish pointed to the 61.5 location. How can I get the new HD channels, Discovery HD, TLC HD, etc... ?

What do I have to tell Dish CSR when I call?
Will I lose the HDNET Movies channel if I get the new HD channels?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Men, you'll need 6 footer antenna, a 5 footer will work too, but several transponders will be weak, you'll be able to lock them but rain fade will be a huge factor. The problem lies on the fact that the CSRs won't activate the HD Package Channel for PR subs. I'm a dealer so I'm pretty familiar with this situation. But I've seen cases we the subs just connect the receiver to their registered phone line and via Channel 100 they got the HD package. So the only way to try is using a Mpeg 4 receiver(VIP series).

If not you'll be stuck with the PR HD Package, 5 Channels for $9.99 what a rip off.:mad:

Men, you'll need 6 footer antenna, a 5 footer will work too, but several transponders will be weak, you'll be able to lock them but rain fade will be a huge factor. The problem lies on the fact that the CSRs won't activate the HD Package Channel for PR subs. I'm a dealer so I'm pretty familiar with this situation. But I've seen cases we the subs just connect the receiver to their registered phone line and via Channel 100 they got the HD package. So the only way to try is using a Mpeg 4 receiver(VIP series).

If not you'll be stuck with the PR HD Package, 5 Channels for $9.99 what a rip off.:mad:

Hi Tom I called Dish last night because I brought a new LCD tv and still waiting for the new HDTV reciever and they told me last night that since I am have been a customer for around eight years now that for me that will activate the HD essentials for the Americas top 200.

Hi Tom I called Dish last night because I brought a new LCD tv and still waiting for the new HDTV reciever and they told me last night that since I am have been a customer for around eight years now that for me that will activate the HD essentials for the Americas top 200.

Hi neljtorres, did you lose "HDnet Movies" when you did the upgrade? Ch. HDnet 9422 and HDnet Movies 9423.

Hi neljtorres, did you lose "HDnet Movies" when you did the upgrade? Ch. HDnet 9422 and HDnet Movies 9423.

If You're lucky enough to get HD Essentials from a local account(PR) you will lose HDnet movies,Remember the $10.00 HD pack we can get here is the old HD pack only aviable to PR residets with only 5 HD chs,HD Net Movies is one of them.:(

Hi All,

I called Dish two times yesterday and I got the same response. After a lot of talking, the supervisors authorize the programming change, but when they tried to make the changes, they couldn't. The system didn't let them add the "essential hd" package to the PR account... on both occasions with different CSRs.

I told the CSR to try again and he tried without any luck... at least that's what he told me. He also told me that for now is not available, emphasizing "for now", two times in the conversation. I asked, why are you telling me, for now?... is there some information you want to give me? but he couldn't tell me anything else.

That conversation gave me curiosity and started searching on the web for information. This is what I found.

-------- New sat --------
The AMC-14, according to the links below, it is a new satellite that will replace EchoStar-III capable of experimental signal coverage with an estimated signal footprint that covers Puerto Rico (in red inside first link below). Estimated to be in service around May 12, 2008.

link: DISH Network's AMC-14 satellite set for March 15 launch - Engadget HD
link: Press Release

The estimated coverage shows signal strength to Puerto Rico.
link: EKB: Echostar Satellites
link: AMC-14

Signal strength dbs and more info:
link: http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=-140501

Notice: Don't get your hopes up yet, this is just information about a new satellite. I don't know Dish Network's plans with the satellite at this time. If one of you, maybe a dealer with more access to Dish, has more information about this AMC-14 satellite and Puerto Rico, please let us know.

-------- New Channels --------
Another document that I wanted to share with you guys is this:

USA 9431 110° Mpeg4 Uplinked Dec 5
SCIFI 9432 110° Mpeg4 Uplinked Dec 5
source: EKB: HD Channels

Thanks to all for your help!

Last edited:
I called Dish two times yesterday and I got the same response. After a lot of talking, the supervisors authorize the programming change, but when they tried to make the changes, they couldn't. The system didn't let them add the "essential hd" package to the PR account... on both occasions with different CSRs.
I told you:(
The reason for this is simple, Some wise a$$ retailers started to installs HD hardware and programing with less than acceptable equipment(For example 4' dishes for 61.5w) that situation started to create Tc's due to costumers complains for fading issues,DN engineer dept choose to "blocked" 61.5w to PR accounts to avoid further complains. Right now we're working with Corporate office to re-establish comm on that sat sloth. Hopefully I'll able to give you guys news(good or bad) by the end of the month.But now the ONLY way you will get full HD programing is to "move " your account somewhere in the Continent(preferably on the East Coast) to get it. Any how on the event we settle with DN will be MANDATORY a 6' dish@ 61.5w to get any HD package.

Just sharing more information!

The scenario could be a little different in the next few months. Right now there are two satellites at the 61.5 location. Rainbow1 (the one they acquired from Voom with very low signal strength in Puerto Rico) and the EchoStar-III (with better signal strength overall, but with transponder troubles).

Rainbow1:
"The spacecraft features 24 MHz Ku-band high power transponders with a combination of 135 watt and 65 watt power amplifiers."
source: Gunter's Space Page - Information on Launch vehicles, Satellites, Space Shuttle and Astronautics

EchoStar-III:
"Power converters: Certain of the electric power converters (EPCs) on EchoStar III are operating at higher than expected temperatures. The high EPC temperatures may require certain transponders on EchoStar III to be turned off for several weeks during summer and winter solstice seasons to avoid overheating.
As a result, EchoStar III is operated at 120 watts per channel, which is typical for 42-cm dish service to the continental United States. If the satellite were operated at a "super high" 230 watts per channel, approximately half of its 16 channel capacity would be unavailable during solstice seasons by the end of the satellite's planned life."
source: Sat ND | Failures

Dish is replacing by March/2008 (launch) and will be operational on May/2008 EchoStar-III with AMC-14:
"which consists of thirty-two 24 MHz Ku-band transponders. In addition, the spacecraft carries a demonstration phased array antenna that enables coverage shaping while the satellite is in orbit."
source: Press Release

If the "coverage shaping" technology works and benefit Puerto Rico, we could get better signal strength starting in May (that could mean 4' maybe or 5' dish). We have to try it when is up in the sky. Also, Dish has to move the HD channels from Rainbow1 to the new AMC-14 for Puerto Rico to benefit.

The only way to know for sure is to wait until May.

Last edited:
Yes I lost the HDnet and the package that cost 9.99! But I get the NFL Network!

You get NFL Network because you have the America's Top 200 subscription package. Channels vary according to the subscription package.

Thanks for the info! That confirms that they remove the PR/AK HD pack and add one of the new dishHD packages.
DISH Network -- Dish HD

Thanks!

Just sharing more information!

The scenario could be a little different in the next few months. Right now there are two satellites at the 61.5 location. Rainbow1 (the one they acquired from Voom with very low signal strength in Puerto Rico) and the EchoStar-III (with better signal strength overall, but with transponder troubles).

Rainbow1:
"The spacecraft features 24 MHz Ku-band high power transponders with a combination of 135 watt and 65 watt power amplifiers."
source: Gunter's Space Page - Information on Launch vehicles, Satellites, Space Shuttle and Astronautics

EchoStar-III:
"Power converters: Certain of the electric power converters (EPCs) on EchoStar III are operating at higher than expected temperatures. The high EPC temperatures may require certain transponders on EchoStar III to be turned off for several weeks during summer and winter solstice seasons to avoid overheating.
As a result, EchoStar III is operated at 120 watts per channel, which is typical for 42-cm dish service to the continental United States. If the satellite were operated at a "super high" 230 watts per channel, approximately half of its 16 channel capacity would be unavailable during solstice seasons by the end of the satellite's planned life."
source: Sat ND | Failures

Dish is replacing by March/2008 (launch) and will be operational on May/2008 EchoStar-III with AMC-14:
"which consists of thirty-two 24 MHz Ku-band transponders. In addition, the spacecraft carries a demonstration phased array antenna that enables coverage shaping while the satellite is in orbit."
source: Press Release

If the "coverage shaping" technology works and benefit Puerto Rico, we could get better signal strength starting in May (that could mean 4' maybe or 5' dish). We have to try it when is up in the sky. Also, Dish has to move the HD channels from Rainbow1 to the new AMC-14 for Puerto Rico to benefit.

The only way to know for sure is to wait until May.

AMC14 was luanched an failed to get into proper orbit. It will be months before we know if it will be operational or a luanch failure.

AMC14 was luanched an failed to get into proper orbit. It will be months before we know if it will be operational or a luanch failure.

Yes, that's true. I've been following the launch and the latest information was posted at the satelliteguys' home page.

"
Good News - It Appears AMC-14 May Make it!While originally the outcome for the AMC-14 Launch did not look promising it now appears that engineers will be able to successfully move AMC14 into proper orbit! SES Americom President Edward Horowitz has stated that he is "confident" that they can get the satellite in proper orbit!

For more details please http://dish.client.shareholder.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=950134-08-4856!

"

We need to wait and see how much time it takes to relocate the satellite into the correct orbit.

Last edited:
Found this link on another thread inside SatelliteGuys. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...rescue-mission-lunar-burn-may-reality-10.html

We have to wait until April to get more information.

"The owners of the AMC-14 telecommunications satellite that was placed into a bad orbit March 15 during the launch of a Proton-M rocket are likely to decide by early April a strategy for getting the spacecraft to its intended orbital slot. The choices include sending the spacecraft around the Moon for a gravity-assist maneuver or raising it directly into its intended slot in geostationary orbit, according to SES of Luxembourg, which owns the satellite, and other industry officials."
source: Proton Upper-Stage Failure Creates Tough Choices for Companies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)