Question of where do I want to go from here...Dish HD?

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
When I originally subscribed to Dish back in 2001 I didnt think I would be a subscriber from this long a time. I have a Dish Pro 301 Receiver and Dish 500 dish with the AT130 and HBO/Cinemax combo. Fast forward to now and I do have an HD tv set and I have a set top box to get the local HDs. I am now debating on if I should get a HD DVR or not with the upcoming confusing price changes. I did read that long long thread here. Is the HD content really worth it right now?
Which Satellites carry the HD channels? I read somewhere the new 118.7 has them but then I read somewhere else the 61.5 has them too. Do I Just a simple Dish for the 61.5 and be done with it? Or can I simply replace the feed section of my Dish 500 to get all the channels?
Is it just me or is Dish who has 10 satellites up there seems like there is no organization with where the channels are. Some people have two dishes like 61.5 and Dish 500 or some just got Dish 500+ etc...
Anyway I would probably stick to my exist package and get the HD I guess that is called HD Bronze today. Then adding HBO and Cinemax to the mix.
You know I cant seems to find any online vendor to cater to someone like me who was interesting in upgrading.... Specifically sayin in their website if your a present AT130 customer and you want to upgrade to HD Bronze this is what you need and what you can get. Not even Dish site has this, whats up with that?
Here is my other variable. I live in an area that just got Fios cabling installed on the poles. I am expecting that they will light that up Spring of 2007. However I did some programming checking and they wont have AMC one of my stations so that might be a major point against them but overall price will rule.
Comments, Suggestions please. Thanks.

Well, most of the HD channels except VOOM's are located on 110 sat, VOOM's are on 129 and mirror on 61.5. Depend where are you located, you will be able to use Dish 1000(one dish 3 LNB) or two dishes for the HD channels. If you want HD DVR, it will cost you $200 upgrade or $50 on HD receiver(no DVR) with $100 credit on your bill($10 per 10 mo.)
You may get a better deal if you call to DishNetwork. A friend of mine got a HD DVR for $69 from DN but he told them he may switch to DirecTV for a free HD DVR.

Happy Holiday,
Jose.

...with the upcoming confusing price changes. I did read that long long thread here. Is the HD content really worth it right now?
The price of the HD packages really didn't go up. The price of the 'base' package, i.e. AT60, AT120, etc did. The HD package on top of those remained a fixed amount higher.

Just a note...you mention FIOS is coming up in your area. As much as I LOVE Dish, if FIOS was available in my area, I'd be giving them a hard look, that's for sure! I know some people in areas where they have fios, a totally different area of the country from me, and they LOVE it! It's that fiber optic cabling that makes the difference.

Again, NOT bashing Dish, as I love it. But just thought I'd throw that in, to confuse you more! ;)

If you just got to have AMC and want HD a Dish 1000(1 dish) should work in your area and as others have said fiber is awesome if done right as far a PQ. Also price of Fiber will very according to the area in which you live. So weigh your options and go with your gut.

OK I called Dish to understand this better I think.

HD dual tuner is 199.99
6.00 for lease monthly
5.98 for HD monthly
6.00 enabling fee but if you have HD package this is waived
Something else was for 5.00 monthly

I really had a hard time understanding the lady she had a thick accent.

She told me that what I have now the Dish 500 dish is all I need since I would only get the regular programming and HD content.

Now they have the rebate of $100 over 10 months ($10/month)
And you have an 18 month commitment.

Why do I need to pay for the tuner if I am leasing it. It seems like 6 times 18 they get their 108 which covers their rebate in recovering it.
I dont think it makes sense to lease because I know like a year or so ago the big thing was oh MPEG 4 is coming wait for the new recievers. Well there here now.
I not looking for anything free but something just does not feel right about leasing to me. I been with Dish since 2001 and if Fios ends up not having the AMC channel I not going to change especially since the prices seems to be about the same. SO If I stay with Dish another 5 years I would probably real close to the break even point probably another year to break even.
What do most people do lease or purchase?
Comments please. Thanks.

I own because I would rather pay upfront and keep my receivers so I can sell them if I want. I also have been with Dish for 10 years and I have bought all my receivers. IF you lease you will get a $6.00 fee every month to pay for the hd receiver, till you stop leasing.

Dish's nonsense fees are ridiculous and have been dreamt up to maximize Dish's profits and push their customers to the highest programming pack to escape the FEES. It is very diabolacle when you think of it.

You can buy your receiver from either dishstore.net or dishdepot.com. I think that you can get one for $499.00 . But you will also need to upgrade to either a dish 1000 -sees 110/119/129 or to a side sat dish to 61.5 for all your high def national channels.

I own because I would rather pay upfront and keep my receivers so I can sell them if I want. I also have been with Dish for 10 years and I have bought all my receivers. IF you lease you will get a $6.00 fee every month to pay for the hd receiver, till you stop leasing.

Dish's nonsense fees are ridiculous and have been dreamt up to maximize Dish's profits and push their customers to the highest programming pack to escape the FEES. It is very diabolacle when you think of it.

You can buy your receiver from either dishstore.net or dishdepot.com. I think that you can get one for $499.00 . But you will also need to upgrade to either a dish 1000 -sees 110/119/129 or to a side sat dish to 61.5 for all your high def national channels.

I hate leasing equipment too and never have. Always bought all my receivers. However, at $500 bucks for the HD DVR, thats almost 7 years worth of monthly rental fee's. No way that HD DVR will last 7 years. By that time, there will be at least two new generations of receivers released. And Dish will most likely have some sort of swap out incentive. If the cost of the receiver was under $250 then I'd say buy it but at $500 clams -- too much initial outlay for technology that will be obsolete long before the monthly fees catch up to the purchase price.

I just can't justify paying $199.00 to just LEASE a receiver and give it back when I am through. I did try the $49.00 lease deal on a 522 a few years back just to see how the name based recording would compare to tivo's. THat is why I decided to upgrade and buy a 942 then two 622 dvrs. I traded in all my old receivers for credit to the dishdepot.com to buy the 622s and I received two 622s for the price of one. I can also use E-bay to sell them if I want to make back the money I spent to buy something else if I want. That is why I don't lease.

She told me that what I have now the Dish 500 dish is all I need since I would only get the regular programming and HD content.
No, that's wrong. Like josem3 said, you'll either need a Dish 1000 upgrade, or a second dish for 61.5 to get all the HD channels from Dish. Besides the VOOM stuff, you would also get ESPN2-HD, NFL Network HD, Universal HD, National Geographic HD, etc.

If you are in the Pittsburg DMA you need a 1000+ dish or a 500+ plus a wing dish for 61.5. Pittsburg HD locals are ojn 118.75.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)