Question on 4DTV??????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vargf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
I will buy a 4DTV Receiver for the reason I want to get the Mexican Package
channels and to get the Spanish channels.

There is a way to get the Mexican subcription channels on 4DTV and how
to get and the cost?

need help on this.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

decoding

vargf said:
I will buy a 4DTV Receiver for the reason I want to get the Mexican Package
channels and to get the Spanish channels.
There is a way to get the Mexican subcription channels on 4DTV and how
to get and the cost?
need help on this.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1st off NPS has a sale on the 922 4dtv if you buy a programming pkg from them...www.callnps.com ($399)...also Skyvision has one too

next you may need a VCII unit if those stations use the VCII analog scrambling (if not analogue, they are probably Digicipher (built into the 4DTV at no cost. They might also be in the clear...go to their site and check out the satellite map to see what is up there and how they are encoded!

I just rebuilt a 920 4dtv and put in a new battery (it will be my spare...just got the 922) The 920 has gone 10 troublefree years and hopefully will last 10 more!!! (That battery backs up the security codes...if it dies and there is a power loss...the 4dtv will be in for a very expensive repair (usually new motherboard)

You can also check Ebay for used 920's and 922's but be careful of the age! (battery failure possibility)
Good Luck
jeff

Last edited:
OK...I have a few questions about 4DTV. I think I may want to experiment with it as I am getting bored with my current setup. I can get a VC2 lock on many channels on say AMC 3 and a couple of others with my paltry 1.2 meter dish. I guess my question is, if I can get VC2 lock and decent PQ (very few sparklies) on the majority of the channels on this sat can I expect any 4DTV action? I know I can't see the sat needed for the guide...can't see that far West. Next question - is Digicipher 2 and 4DTV the same animal? I know to make this work I need a big dish but I am just foolin' around at this point and I don't think I can get a BUD past the wife approval factor. There is a guy on E-Bay selling a 920 all setup with all the latest sats and channels for about 260.00 with a money back guarantee...was wondering if that was a good deal since I really don't know much about these boxes - with the exception of the battery issue.

Thanks for the answers -

rayydio said:
OK...I have a few questions about 4DTV. I think I may want to experiment with it as I am getting bored with my current setup. I can get a VC2 lock on many channels on say AMC 3 and a couple of others with my paltry 1.2 meter dish. I guess my question is, if I can get VC2 lock and decent PQ (very few sparklies) on the majority of the channels on this sat can I expect any 4DTV action? I know I can't see the sat needed for the guide...can't see that far West. Next question - is Digicipher 2 and 4DTV the same animal? I know to make this work I need a big dish but I am just foolin' around at this point and I don't think I can get a BUD past the wife approval factor. There is a guy on E-Bay selling a 920 all setup with all the latest sats and channels for about 260.00 with a money back guarantee...was wondering if that was a good deal since I really don't know much about these boxes - with the exception of the battery issue.
Thanks for the answers -

To be honest I would go for a 922, and try to get a bigger dish, you most likely will not be able to get the channel maps on such a undersized reflector, and this will leave you with a usless box, try getting atleast a 8.5' or you can play with a 5' 6' though you will need it to be peaked at it's best and you will still not get everything.

My 7.5' mesh SAMI performs very well on all 4dtv channels and satellites.
Even the HBO/Cinemax digitals on G-1. I am getting 69 quality on some of those tight compressed digital hbo/max channels and 60 quality on the others. These are the lowest signals i have with my dsr-905 on 4dtv, everything else like X4 (G4 ku band) or GB (G-11 c-band) are in the 90+ range with my 7.5' dish. I did take some extra care in tuning the 7.5'.

I would recommend a 10 foot dish if you have room for it. If the satellite arc gets more crowded, I may not be as lucky in the future as my 7.5' dish can see 2.138 degrees of azimuth. Ideally you want to see a little less than 2 degrees. I am picking up a little interference from the neigboring satellites because my dish is not "blind enough" to the sidelobes of the dish (at c-band frequencies). Now KU is a different story, I think it's beamwidth is not quite 1 degree. So that's great. You should get at least an 8.5' dish. I think that's minimum for 2 degree spacing at c-band frequencies.

Smaller dishes are quite capable of receiving c-band frequencies, but interference rejection is the big key nowdays for good digital reception and that requires a dish that can tightly focus on the desired satellite and reject the crosstalk from the neigboring birds.

rayydio said:
Thanks for the answers -
Too bad you can't see G1R :(. 4DTV is pretty annoying to use without the guide. If you don't have the guide you can't even see a list of the channels. As best you can do is manually tune the sat and then channel up/down or enter the channel number. If you do hit the guide hoping for a list of channels to scroll through, it offers to go get the guide on G1R.

NPS had me tune to G1R to do the 'hits' to authorize my box. I can get DC lock on G1-3 (G1R) so I am able to get the guide to come down. While I can also DC lock on some of the video channels on G1, most are unwatchable. My analog on W3 (AMC 3) sounds very similar to your results. Assuming you had LOS, I bet your results would be similar to mine.

The bad part is - most of the movie channels / Discovery channels are on the West sats. I spend most my time on C3 (131W) & C4 (135W).

truckracer said:
My 7.5' mesh SAMI performs very well on all 4dtv channels and satellites.
Even the HBO/Cinemax digitals on G-1. I am getting 69 quality on some of those tight compressed digital hbo/max channels and 60 quality on the others. These are the lowest signals i have with my dsr-905 on 4dtv, everything else like X4 (G4 ku band) or GB (G-11 c-band) are in the 90+ range with my 7.5' dish. I did take some extra care in tuning the 7.5'.
I would recommend a 10 foot dish if you have room for it. If the satellite arc gets more crowded, I may not be as lucky in the future as my 7.5' dish can see 2.138 degrees of azimuth. Ideally you want to see a little less than 2 degrees. I am picking up a little interference from the neigboring satellites because my dish is not "blind enough" to the sidelobes of the dish (at c-band frequencies). Now KU is a different story, I think it's beamwidth is not quite 1 degree. So that's great. You should get at least an 8.5' dish. I think that's minimum for 2 degree spacing at c-band frequencies.
Smaller dishes are quite capable of receiving c-band frequencies, but interference rejection is the big key nowdays for good digital reception and that requires a dish that can tightly focus on the desired satellite and reject the crosstalk from the neigboring birds.

Yes a 10' or 12' is best, though his wife may not allow such a beast.

hey shawn

speaking of program guides, it's funny, i got used to not having any type of guide with free to air c and ku band. I just sort of figured out what was on a few channels every now and then. Now that i have 4dtv, the guide is great.

I forgot what it was like to have a guide. although my fta receivers have a channel guide capability, it seems like none of the uplinkers use that part of the data stream. I have seen some strange text messages in the info bar at the bottom of the screen on my fortec ultra. Once i saw personal text messages between news reporters on a news feed. That was kind of interesting.

Good job on your 5 foot dish. I like the pics. Good clean install.
Take care, Merry Christmas-trucker:)

tdti1 said:
To be honest I would go for a 922, and try to get a bigger dish, you most likely will not be able to get the channel maps on such a undersized reflector, and this will leave you with a usless box, try getting atleast a 8.5' or you can play with a 5' 6' though you will need it to be peaked at it's best and you will still not get everything.

Diogicipher is owned by Motorola....I have rebuilt my 920 with a new battery and bought a 922 at one of the package deals ($399net _ you buy programming with the $150 credit you get...so you are billed $550 for the programing you select and the 922. (NPS or Skyvsion)

I like the tuner in the 922 a little bit better and its pulls in the stations a bit stronger...I will keep the "new" 920 as a spare since they do not fetch much on Ebay...The trick was changing out the battery which should keep it safe for 10 more tears!

Also I have a Norstat 8000 (100 MHZ sytability c band LNB and a Norstat .6d ku band Lnb on a Chapparal Co-rotor II (over 10 yrs old!!!!)

Just replaced the $20 servo motor after 10 yrs. The 28 yr old dish is an old perforated aluminum Wineguard 8 footer (in great shape) on a polar mount, and I get a beautiful Picture in Reno NV!! (just on the edge of the footprint too...Agree that the good stuff is fron G5 west to c3-c4 (Discovery HD!!) Was surprised the 8 footer did so well...combination of the dish quality and the norstat LNB's I guess. Never a sparlkly..Except when I had a bunch of huge wasp nests in the feedhorn.,....thought my LNBs had gone bad!!! I began with separate positioners and receiver!!!! I remember when G1 was launched and the PQ was great! C3 is really getting old but it stays stable...amazing as is G1 soon to be replaced with G15 in the same position

jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts