Question on cable run?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
How long can the cable be from the dish to the receiver before the signal is no longer working or degrades in cold weather/ice and snow? Also anyone know of a place to but long cheap coax cable?

I think to answer the first part of his post, the length is 250 feet with SCC RG6. Using RG11 can get you longer lengths.

A SWM install can also be a bit longer.

I know you can't split a sat signal BUT can I connect 2 100ft cables and still have it work?

I know you can't split a sat signal BUT can I connect 2 100ft cables and still have it work?

You should be able to connect 2 cables but keep in mind there is some loss at each connection. I run from the dish to a grounding block before entering the house. The grounding block is a connection.

Also Directv specifies solid core coax which, as I understand, has lower loss. My setup has copper-clad center core coax which works fine on the 5 lnb dish but when or if I need to replace I'd use solid copper. I bought a 500ft roll of RG6 quad-shield at Home Depot for something like $0.13/ft. Others might comment on using copper-clad vs solid copper. As stated mine works fine.... for now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)