Question on configuring Alexa on Hopper3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aabom

Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Earlier today I found a thread that showed how to configure a Hopper3 and Joey 4k with Amazon Alexa. Now I cannot find that thread. Please point me in the right direction.

I have a Hopper3 and 3 Joeys. I have two Echo Dots and one Echo Plus that have not yet been configured. Does it matter which Echo device I use to configure Alexa to the internet-connected Hopper3? My understanding is that once I configure Alexa to the Hopper3, I can then configure each Joey to one of the Echos. Is that right? The instructions are not specific about configuring an Echo when one has more than one that will ultimately be configured with the available Joeys.

IIRC if all three Echo devices are on the same account, adding the Dish device will be seen by all echos.

And the flip side of that (at least when I was still using an Echo Dot to control my Dish receivers) is that the Echo may end up getting paired to all of your receivers. This means that you will have to specify a room name ("Alexa, go to Guide on Living Room 1" for example) to make sure that the Echo controls the correct receiver.

Open the Alexa App on your phone, go to Skills, search for Dish and follow the prompts
I plan to use the Echo Plus to be the main Echo in our Den. My Hopper3 is not located in the Den. It is upstairs in an office. I plan to configure Alexa to the Hopper3 with the Echo Plus upstairs and then move the Echo Plus to the Den. I will use an Echo Dot in an upstairs Bedroom and the other Echo Dot in my smaller downstairs office where Joeys are located. So, will that work? Will I have to ID each Joey with its location, e.g., so when I send commands do I need to address as Den Joey or Bedroom Joey, etc. I just want get all my ducks in a row before starting the process.

I plan to use the Echo Plus to be the main Echo in our Den. My Hopper3 is not located in the Den. It is upstairs in an office. I plan to configure Alexa to the Hopper3 with the Echo Plus upstairs and then move the Echo Plus to the Den. I will use an Echo Dot in an upstairs Bedroom and the other Echo Dot in my smaller downstairs office where Joeys are located. So, will that work? Will I have to ID each Joey with its location, e.g., so when I send commands do I need to address as Den Joey or Bedroom Joey, etc. I just want get all my ducks in a row before starting the process.
This is something you're going to have to experiment with. I only used my Echo Dot to setup the Hopper so I could do it for my customers, then I put it on a shelf. I'm using Google instead of Alexa at my house. The best I can say is try it and see what happens - and let us know

Reactions: pattykay
It's much easier to push a button that try to compose a sentence or list of phrases that Alexa can interpret.

Use the remote Luke!

Hey, aabom! Only our Hopper receiver will provide you with the Alexa App through the DISH Menu. When pairing your Echo device, you would perform these steps at the Hopper, and these features are able to be used by the Joeys. To help, you can rename the receivers so the Echo device knows which room to perform the function on. To rename a receiver, please press the SYSTEM INFO button on the front panel to open the Diagnostics, then arrow down to Whole Home. Towards the right of that screen you will be given the option to "Change Name."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)