Question on HD DVR's current on Dish

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

I think I will be pulling the pin, and moving to an HD TV in early October. I called Dish and they will upgrade my setup for a total of $15. But they would not tell me for sure which HD DVR I would get. Should I be holding out for on model over another? My main concern is recording space, and I would like the option to add an external drive if I needed to. When I looked on the site, it appears they are pushing the newest model, so I was kind of surprised they wouldn't tell me that would be what I got.

Thanks for your help!

You need to tell them you want to feed an HD and an SD TV, to be sure you get a Duo Dvr. Which of those receivers is at their disgression, or whatever receiver the installer has available to him.

If you can, empress on them the fact that you need 2 OTA tuners, that will get you the 722k if you are successful.

When I looked on the site, it appears they are pushing the newest model, so I was kind of surprised they wouldn't tell me that would be what I got.
That's the 922 and you won't get it for a $15 upgrade fee. It will cost you $200...

Did they ask how many TVs you'll be hooking up, i.e. is there a 2nd TV you'd like to connect also ? If so, that's an "HD Duo" DVR, which means the 622, 722, or 722k. You don't get to pick. As already mentioned, the warehouse or the installer's stock will decide for you. The only difference in the 622 and 722, as I recall, is hard drive capacity. Between the 722 and the 722k, OTA reception is now "optional". If you want the add-on module, it costs $30 (?) but it's possible to get that waived. Dish has their own internal rules to determine if your account qualifies.

If you're only hooking up (1) HDTV, that should be the 612 or "HD Solo" DVR.

211k no DVR fee, just pay the one time activate external hard drive fee.

this is nice and flexible since with the 722k you are limited to a single high def tv.

for less money per month you can have two high def sets if you want, and avoid the DVR fee completely.....

Thanks everyone for the replies. They didn't ask me anything about the setup, I had just told her that I wanted to put in HD. I've been a customer for a VERY long time, I figured that's why the $15. I did tell her that I wanted to make sure the one I got could work with the external drive, and that's when she mentioned it would kind of be the luck of the draw. Most of this is overkill for me anyway, but I do pile up stuff I can't get to from time to time, so wanted to make sure I could do that if I wanted. I don't even mind the $200 to upgrade, if there is enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. Thanks again for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)