Question on hookup of dual tuner receivers

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
I currently have a 508 and a 811. The 508 is upstairs and the 811 is downstairs. If I were to get a new dual tuner mpeg 4 DVR receiver (whether or not it is HD) how would the upstairs set be connected?

I use the cable connector for the VCR...(Cable to the VCR and VCR to the TV). My 508 is currently on a separate input to the TV using s-video. It gets a better picture with the s-video. I don't think there would be a s-video cable and audio cables 35 or 40 feet long available, which is about what I'd need to run from the receiver to the upstairs TV.

Am I out of luck with this or is there a workaround? I'd appreciate you advice. :confused:

If you even had an s-video cable that long then you'd need the same length cables for audio. the coax TV2 connection will have a good picture and has stereo sound. I'm assuming the new boxes will maintain this spec. You won't have the scrolling lines on the TV2 feed that you may experience like if you were to have Channel 3 hooked up from the 508.

Every TV is different though. I have an old JVC tube that has a good picture for TV2, but not as good some of the newer sets, like the flat screen tubes that display the TV2 signal like it was RCA or s-video, to me anyway. It's in the eye of the beholder, but I think you will be satisfied.

You can also still feed the signal through the VCR to the TV.

I have a transmitter setup that I use off and on. Works pretty well, as long as the neighbor stays off the cordless phone. It uses RCA connectors- composite. There are more expensive versions that I think use different frequencies and maybe accept S-video. Google it.

Cat-5 twisted-pair Ethernet cable works good for this type of application, just put the right kind of connectors on each end. You can go at least 50 maybe 100 feet with no visible loss of quality.

Pepper, I FOUND YOUR REPLY VERY INTERESTING...... I'm not being sarcastic here, just very intrigued. How would I back feed a 508 or any receiver for that matter with a CAT5 ethernet cable.

Not sure what your mean by "back feed", but Pepper was referring to Cat5 cable with twisted pairs of wires soldered to RCA jacks, so you could use the RCA/TV2 audio and video outs instead of the Coax out. I've used it to get audio from TV2 to a receiver in an adjacent room, about a 20 ft. run.

Cat 5 computer cable is much less obtrusive than Coax. Can be run under carpet, floarboars, etc. You can but it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Get 6 strand and you can get the RCA male connectors at Rado Shack. Just make three pairs twisted and solder to the connectors. Better video if not audio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)