Question on Hopper replacement with Joey that works fine

denisincalif

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 1, 2007
Arcadia, CA
My Hopper (several years old) died and Dish has sent me a replacement. I remember that when the Hopper/Joey system was new, Joeys were very temperamental and their installation could not be started until the Hopper was fully up and running. Has that problem been fixed?

My real question is this---what do I do with the Joey while I am disconnecting the old Hopper and bringing up the new one? Can I just leave it alone, powered on and connected to the MOCA cable? Or do I have to disconnect it and power it off until the new Hopper is running?

In either case, what (if anything) do I have to do with the Joey to make sure it properly communicates with the new Hopper?

I'd disconnect the joey until the hopper get it's software update and is activated. Reconnect joey once the hopper is fully up and running.
.. that should be all that's required. Good luck! You'll like the new hopper!

Reactions: ChadT41
With my I recent Hopper replacement, I did nothing with the Joey and all was fine.

I have done a couple replacements back when I was testing them a couple years back, and had to disco the Joey. I did an RA last year and left the Joey plugged up and it worked fine. I would say, just to save some time, disco the Joey if easily accessible, and then hook it back up once installed.

Thank you everybody. The switchover to the replacement Hopper went fairly smoothly, although it took far longer than I hoped. It took the new Hopper an incredibly long time to reboot after the software had downloaded.

I had two minor problems. I had kept the Joey powered off but not disconnected from the wall, and I did not disconnect the MOCA coax. After the Hopper was initialized I turned the Joey on and immediately got the screen saying it couldn't find the old hopper and to check my connections or do a power reset on both the Hopper and Joey. I expected something like that, so I did nothing, expecting a new screen to pop up soon telling me something about the new Hopper. But after 10 minutes, I gave up and started to dial Dish. That did the trick! I was only halfway through dialing when the screen offering to let the Joey link to the new Hopper came up.

My other problem was that it had been so long since I got my OTA dongle that I had forgotten how to make it scan for channels. I thought I searched the entire menu tree. When I couldn't find it I broke down and called Dish after all. The CSR had no idea what I was talking about, but after consulting with someone she was able to point me to the menu location for rescanning channels. It is cleverly hidden under "Diagnostics", as if needing to scan for channels means you are having some sort of malfunction.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Yes, they did fix some things, and the installation is a bit more intuitive, at least for first/full installs. However, if it is a simple change-out of Hopper or a Joey, one need not be concerned because it is pretty straight forward.

The one thing you have to have your head up on is to remember to pair the Hopper/Joey after the change-out. That does not happen automatically.

My change-out of 2 Hoppers to HWS's, was just like it was with ViP and legacy equipment. I did not have to even consider the Joeys. That easy. In fact, the CSR gave me the option of sending a tech to do the change-out or to just send me the HWS's because the change-out is so easy. I just had to double check my internet connection and pair Joeys to the HWS's. That's it.

...the menu location for rescanning channels. It is cleverly hidden under "Diagnostics", as if needing to scan for channels means you are having some sort of malfunction..
Each time I rescan (not often, admittedly), I ask myself, "who's idea was it to put this menu under Diagnostics?" as well. I don't think there's anyplace else to put it though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)