Question on OTA Tuner Guide

panz32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I hooked up the OTA Tuner to my Hopper yesterday and the guide information is not working for my local ABC affiliate. It should be noted my affiliate, KCRG, is in a dispute with Dish and currently not broadcasting on the satellite. The problem is my guide for the OTA Tuner says Important News - Press Info! (which is the same info on the satellite guide for KCRG).

Does anyone know if the guide will ever show the actual programming schedule? This basically rendered the OTA Tuner useless for DVR'ing programs as I have no idea which show is which. Any help or info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm sure the info is missing because dish isn't broadcasting that channel. If they reach an agreement then I would assume the guide info should be present.

Can you use their website for as a guide then set manual timers?

This happens every time a local channel goes into dispute with Dish, so a manual timer is the only way around it.

However being a hopper, no manual timers yet, unless I missed something about that changing.

This happens every time a local channel goes into dispute with Dish, so a manual timer is the only way around it.

However being a hopper, no manual timers yet, unless I missed something about that changing.

You missed it. It was added in S234.

I can DVR the time slots still, but it won't be any good. If I DVR a program at 8pm today and 7pm on Saturday, I won't know which is which. It might be easy to keep track if I only have 1 or 2 instances recorded, but if I have 10 or more and I'm trying to watch something a few weeks later, it will be total guess and check as to which program I'm watching.

What's odd is the local subchannel programming info is there. So for example, KCRG 9.2 shows Two and a Half Men at 10:30. But 9.1 shows the Important Info message. So it seems that Dish uses the satellite guide to get the programming info for the main channel and then another source for the subchannels.

You're seeing the dispute info on the OTA guide because that's the info they are placing in the satellite channel guide. They don't upload separate info for the OTA and Satellite feeds of the same channel. They duplicate it.

I can DVR the time slots still, but it won't be any good. If I DVR a program at 8pm today and 7pm on Saturday, I won't know which is which.
I can't say this confidently for the Hopper, but on previous DVRs, you can "Edit" the name of programs.
What's odd is the local subchannel programming info is there. So for example, KCRG 9.2 shows Two and a Half Men at 10:30. But 9.1 shows the Important Info message. So it seems that Dish uses the satellite guide to get the programming info for the main channel and then another source for the subchannels.
They do exactly that -- although they will deny it if you call and complain. They will tell you that the local station is the one who's supplying that data. As you said, and GaryPen confirms, for the "main" channel, Dish copies the guide data from the satellite-provided channel. For the others, i.e. -2, -3, etc, they use data from Tribune.

I can't say this confidently for the Hopper, but on previous DVRs, you can "Edit" the name of programs.

Nope can't do that on Hopper. They need to re-add that functionality.

They do exactly that -- although they will deny it if you call and complain. They will tell you that the local station is the one who's supplying that data. As you said, and GaryPen confirms, for the "main" channel, Dish copies the guide data from the satellite-provided channel. For the others, i.e. -2, -3, etc, they use data from Tribune.

Yep.

Here's a quote from the "other" site :-

James Long said:
If none of the local channels are giving EPG waiting the day (or two) for the receiver to get it's brains together (as most of us have had to do when getting a Hopper - even before OTA) is not a bad idea. If some of the locals have EPG and others do not (other than channels added in a just completed scan) you may want to check to see what EPG DISH carries for locals.

I have a list of all the local channel EPGs on my website:
http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html

Look for your market and any channels you may receive from an adjacent market. If the channel/subchannel is not listed on that page, DISH does not provide EPG for that channel/subchannel.

DISH uses a hidden indicator "TSID" that is transmitted on local stations to match an over the air received feed with the EPG data transmitted via DISH. The call letters are irrelevant for the match. If the station is transmitting a different TSID or is not transmitting a valid TSID there will be no match and EPG will not show for that OTA channel. The TSIDs as DISH knows them are shown on my page.

DISH does not use the EPG that is transmitted over the air by the station. They get their guide data from Tribune Media and match it to the channels. Sometimes DISH sends the wrong EPG data for an OTA channel. Getting them to admit that and fix it is non-trivial.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I just received my hopper OTA this weekend, having had hopper install the previous week. I previously had a 722 for several years and received OTA of approximately 12 channels with guide data for all, of which about 7 were subchannels which also had guide data. I'm in Sioux City IA. Now that Hopper is installed with OTA, I get the same approximate 12 channels, except now I don't get any guide data for subchannels. I can't imagine why I would get my subchannel data on the 722 ota but not the hopper ota. Is there something wrong with the OTA attachment or is Dish only providing subchannel data for certain markets on the Hopper OTA?

I just received my hopper OTA this weekend, having had hopper install the previous week. I previously had a 722 for several years and received OTA of approximately 12 channels with guide data for all, of which about 7 were subchannels which also had guide data. I'm in Sioux City IA. Now that Hopper is installed with OTA, I get the same approximate 12 channels, except now I don't get any guide data for subchannels. I can't imagine why I would get my subchannel data on the 722 ota but not the hopper ota. Is there something wrong with the OTA attachment or is Dish only providing subchannel data for certain markets on the Hopper OTA?
Give it 48 hrs. Subs take longer to populate the guide.

More annoyance with the OTA tuner. I set a timer to record a show tonight and the timer came and went and nothing recorded. Funny thing is the timer still shows up in my timers list even though I set it to record only once. This is starting to get on my nerves. I called Dish and they "filled out a form", whatever that is supposed to do. Sigh.

Give it 48 hrs. Subs take longer to populate the guide.
Wait about 24 hrs for the guide data to populate. Mine was like this initially.
I got the OTA module yesterday and hooked it up. No guide data for the sub-channels, as expected, but as of this morning, they're now populated. I presume the guide update overnight did it. I didn't check the accuracy, mind you. I'm certain they have (2) of the PBS sub-channels STILL WRONG. I think my local ABC's "Cool TV" sub-channel is unknown to Dish as well. Both issues were reported in the thread I linked to above to no avail though...

On that topic, on older receivers, running a check switch would always prompt you to do a guide update when the test was complete. I figured I'd force a guide update and get sub-channel data this way -- but on the Hopper, it doesn't give the option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts