Question on running RG6 around plumbing

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
I'm remodeling a bathroom. While I have some of the subfloor up, I am running Dual Shield RG6 (swept to 3GHz) in my 30 year old house.

To get the cables in my bedroom, I want to run the RG6 and CAT5e cables around the plumbing for my bathtub.

I need to make sure this is up to code, as an inspector from the county will be looking at it. I haven't consulted with my plumber/contractor yet, but either way I need a way to get the cables in these walls.

This picture shows the cables coming up and going through the wall (circled in red).

run1.jpg

This picture shows how I want to run the RG6 cable to the other wall (cable path is the red line).

run2.jpg

Anyone think I'll have an issue with codes/inspector by running the cables this way, through the subfloor next to the plumbing?

no but your power is the same void as water is a no go in some places . if i where u i would run them up the same void they are coming into and then cross over through the top or better yet run them down the same void under the house and back through the floor joist on the other side

Not sure if you resolved this or not but as far as I can see it shouldn't be a problem to do what you are asking. If anything, you may have to put in a duplex box or at least a low voltage box over the wires coming in through the drywall. As far as routing the wires, what Tocket69 said, it may be better to go under the floor if possible but that might be difficult depending on your situation.

Thanks.

Here is how I ended up running the cables. I haven't stapled anything yet until the plumber gets the tub in, want to make sure it's not in his way. I put in a low voltage box. The other wall ended up having a vent behind the stud, so I'm going to try to route it through the door jamb and under the carpet.

cables2.jpg

I'm remodeling a bathroom. While I have some of the subfloor up, I am running Dual Shield RG6 (swept to 3GHz) in my 30 year old house.

To get the cables in my bedroom, I want to run the RG6 and CAT5e cables around the plumbing for my bathtub.

I need to make sure this is up to code, as an inspector from the county will be looking at it. I haven't consulted with my plumber/contractor yet, but either way I need a way to get the cables in these walls.

This picture shows the cables coming up and going through the wall (circled in red).

run1.jpg

This picture shows how I want to run the RG6 cable to the other wall (cable path is the red line).

run2.jpg

Anyone think I'll have an issue with codes/inspector by running the cables this way, through the subfloor next to the plumbing?

Duel shielded cable, is not desirable, pain in the rear to work with, Dish or Direct does not use it ! What of [100% shielded] with good RG6 - is double shielded any better at ? We rarely used it in aircraft - or in at broadcast studios ? The good part is Beldon makes more $ selling the product

It is my understanding that for low voltage, you should have no problem. But the 120v outlet - well, that might depend upon what the inspector had for breakfast.

I wouldn't staple the low voltage unless absolutely necessary. And find a way, any way, to not run a cable under carpet where it would be walked on and worn down.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Thanks.

Here is how I ended up running the cables. I haven't stapled anything yet until the plumber gets the tub in, want to make sure it's not in his way. I put in a low voltage box. The other wall ended up having a vent behind the stud, so I'm going to try to route it through the door jamb and under the carpet.

cables2.jpg

Not sure how you are going to put your tub/shower in over top of the coax you just ran into the floor??? I would have though gone through the bottom plate in the wall to go under the floor and tried to go under the floor completely into the next room or just went straight up from where it enters the drywall and then over the doorway and then back down. Less wires in the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts