Question Re: Boston area locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi!

We're moving soon and plan to switch back to satellite from cable (yay!) at that time. I've been leaning towards going with E* but with the set backs of late, I'm looking at D* again.

Here's the issue that has had me ready to go with E*. It's HD locals. Both where I live (SW NH)and where I'm moving to (SE VT - approx 20-25 miles away), we qualify for the Boston locals. However, both locations receive HD locals with E* but I guess because of the spotbeam type that D* uses in our area, my current residence receives HD locals but the new one doesn't. I guess I basically just dismissed D* at that point 'cause I'd really like my locals in HD and OTA is out of the question because of the distance and terrain. But with the new satellite having successfully made it into orbit and its large capacity for HD locals (from what I've been reading at least) I was wondering what the chances are that they will increase the coverage area of the spotbeam used for the Boston region HD locals? Since I'm *so* close to being in the coverage area, I guess I've been worried that they'd overlook expanding it because it's less populated. What are your thoughts? Does anyone know of any plans at this point that could address this? At this point, I'd rather go with D* but having some idea about the HD locals would help my decision a lot!

Thanks so much in advance!

Post old/new zipcodes, please. Makes helping much easier :)

If both zips are in the Boston DMA, you should receive Boston locals in HD. There's normally lots (like hundreds of miles) of overlap.

I'm guessing you're worried about the former state of NESN-HD, which used to be on ONLY the Boston spotbeam, and nowhere else in its broadcast territory. It's now CONUS, so available to anyone either in its territory, or those with sportspack.

Post old/new zipcodes, please. Makes helping much easier :)

If both zips are in the Boston DMA, you should receive Boston locals in HD. There's normally lots (like hundreds of miles) of overlap.

I'm guessing you're worried about the former state of NESN-HD, which used to be on ONLY the Boston spotbeam, and nowhere else in its broadcast territory. It's now CONUS, so available to anyone either in its territory, or those with sportspack.

Actually, the op is correct. There are some zip codes in VT that get Boston locals from Directv, but not the hd ones. I suspect Directv wants to avoid any issues with weak signals, although I doubt it would be a problem. When D11 is up and running, I think the service area will increase to include VT.

Aww, durh. I try to post enough info and *always* seem to forget something! :D

Current zip: 03431
New zip: 05301

I'm psyched to hear that there's a chance they'll increase the coverage when D11 comes online! I *really* hope so... (What's the window till it actually lights up? Around 6 weeks or so?)

bah - Raoul is 100% right. I completely forgot about the weird piece of the Boston DMA in VT.

If I'm not mistaken, there's also a DMA in NC in a similar situation.

D* has announced "September" officially for D11, but I'd think 6-9 weeks.

bah - Raoul is 100% right. I completely forgot about the weird piece of the Boston DMA in VT.

If I'm not mistaken, there's also a DMA in NC in a similar situation.

D* has announced "September" officially for D11, but I'd think 6-9 weeks.

Hancox, thanks for the reply. Bummer, that we don't get the HD locals we're supposed to, ain't it?

Have you also heard that they're planning to increase the Boston to include the S. VT area when D11 lights up?

So, you're saying that Spot Beam size will increase with D11?

Either that or they will be able to add an additional spot beam with D11 to cover Vermont. Some parts are part of the Albany dma and some are Boston.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)