Question re: Turbo HD and SD TV's

jjdunkle

Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
We are new to dish tv, so I realize this may be a very basic question! We are interested in getting TurboHD Bronze as a new subscriber. We have one HDTV and 3 SDTV's. We wanted to get the TurboHD Bronze pkg plus local channels becuase it covers the programming we want. I spoke to 2 different cust. service reps tonight, and they both told me that I couldn't get the hd pkg alone, because they would not work on my SDTV's. Am I mistaken, or do you get the same stations in HD and SD with the Turbo pkg?? Wouldn't we be able to view the SD programming on the other 3 tv's? What receivers would I need? We are still deciding on DVR. I appreciate your help!

you can have the turbo hd packages as long as you have HD receivers on your sd tv's. the vip receivers have sd outputs too besides the HDMI and component ones.you will also enjoy a better pic using the HD receivers on SD tv's and get the HD channels you couldn't have with an SD receiver.

I would recommend a 722. This receiver can support 2 televisions. The first television would be your HD TV. The second television output would be your other 3 SD TVs; therefore, all three SD TVs will be watching the same channel, unless you go with more than one receiver.

If you do go with more than one receiver for your SD TVs I believe all of them can support SD TVs, not just HD, so the receiver would again simply down convert any HD signal and present it in a letter box form on your SD TV. A 211 would be fine if you just want to watch TV for the SD TVs, or maybe a 612 which would give you two tuners and DVR functionality. I recommend looking up the receivers on Dish's website to figure out what each can do.

If you go TurboHD, all you will get are HD channels. With that being said, the receiver, will down convert the HD signal to an SD one for the second television output; however, because it is the HD channel being down converted, on your SD TV it will end up being letter boxed. You can stretch or zoom the picture though to fill the whole screen on your SD TV, it just might not look the greatest though. Personally, I do not mind letter box on SD TVs.

For your locals though, you will get both the SD and HD versions of the channels, assuming Dish has them all for where you live.

Hope this helps ...

As the others have said, what you want to do will work and work well! I am in the exact same situation with 1 HDTV and 3 SDTVs and have been enjoying TurboHD Silver since September 08. I have one 722 and two 211s. The HD receivers work great with the SD televisions. Keep in mind that you will only be able to get and use HD capable VIP receivers (ie: 722,622,612,or 211)

Thank you all so much. I went to a local retailer today who was much more knowledgeable and suggested the exact setup you have j25a....a 722 and two 211s. Thanks again!!

Why not go with a 722 and a 222 and save yourself $7 per month lease fee.
722 and 2 -211's will cost you $14 alone in addtional receiver fees.
A 722 and a 222 will give you 4 rooms of service for less .
2 SD and 2 HD for $7 in additional receiver fees.
If you have 3 SD tv's why bother with 2- 211.?

It was my understanding that the 222 would only connect to one HDTV and one SDTV, not two SDTV's. I would much rather have one 222 to save in fees! Anyone know???

Great! One more question....since we are going back to 2 dual tunners, does the 722 communicate with the 222 so that we would only need to hook up the phone line to the 722? I read somewhere that there are software issues and they may not communicate. We would like to have the phone lines in and ready to go when the installers come. Thanks so much for your help Hemi and for the link!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts