Question - VIP 622 and the TV-2 output - grainy picture

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have a VIP 622 and am using a triplexer with it for TV-2. I know it is an older receiver but it works well and has not given any trouble.

The TV-1 is in the main room to an HD TV and works good.

The TV-2 from the triplexer goes to the bedroom on channel 60. There is a newer Sony Bravia HD TV (excellent) in there. The picture is quite grainy ???

The wiring in the house is new in 2007, good connectors etc. The coax run is less than 100'.

Is it normal for the TV-2 output to be grainy and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

I have a VIP 622 and am using a triplexer with it for TV-2. I know it is an older receiver but it works well and has not given any trouble.

The TV-1 is in the main room to an HD TV and works good.

The TV-2 from the triplexer goes to the bedroom on channel 60. There is a newer Sony Bravia HD TV (excellent) in there. The picture is quite grainy ???

The wiring in the house is new in 2007, good connectors etc. The coax run is less than 100'.

Is it normal for the TV-2 output to be grainy and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

You can try changing the channel that receives TV2 (MENU-6-1-5) but IMHO SD on a HD TV is gonna look like crap.:( Wouldn't matter if it were a newer receiver either.

Ed

No, graininess should not be a symptom of viewing SD on an HD TV. If you mean grainy as in snowy (like a bad analog antenna reception), then I would look at the triplexer as the potential culprit. Can you bypass the triplexer at all, or hook up a direct coax from the TV2 distribution port to the TV? Maybe even try it with the TV in the main room. That would rule out the 622 distribution post going bad.

I had a graininess problem introduced when I tried to diplex (reverse split) an OTA antenna coax into the the TV2 distribution. It resulted in signal interference that caused the picture to look snowy.

I have another triplexer that is new and will give it a try.

It isn't exactly snow ... just grainy and may very well be an SD to HD issue. The TV is perfect in the main room on the TV-1 HD output so it isn't the TV. I can also stream to the TV via my home network and the picture is perfect for the Amazon movies.

Unfortunately no way to get another coax to it ... concrete wall construction here in Florida!

After you try the other triplexer, try connecting the home dist coax directly to the main tv, bypassing the plexer.

If it isn't really snow, it's probably how the HDtv displays SD content. I get around that by having a DVD recorder with an analog tuner that also upconverts to HDMI. It looks much better than viewing SD on the TV's non-native SD resolution.

Last edited:
So the sony tv is in the tv2 location? I would put the tv on digital ch116 on some tv's this works. You may have to run an auto ch search in the tv's menu if that does not resolve it then try changing the tv2 output to cable mode then try the channel scan again.

The channel 116 seems to be better. I don't have any idea why however!

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Try switching the modulation to a lower channel number. For years I had an SDTV connected to the TV2 output on my 622 and the picture was grainy. I just figured the signal from the modulator was a little weak. Then one day I changed the modulator to a lower channel number (something in the 20s) and the picture was much clearer.

Do you have antenna combined with side 2 of the receiver? I noticed in the last year here that when we have OTA combined with TV2 and have it modulated on channel 60 that the picture was very fuzzy. It's strange because we have been hooking Dish up that way for years. It took me a while to figure out but I changed the modulated channel to 50 and it was clear as can be. Not sure what changed in the last year and it only happens with people who have it combined with OTA.

Do you have antenna combined with side 2 of the receiver? I noticed in the last year here that when we have OTA combined with TV2 and have it modulated on channel 60 that the picture was very fuzzy. It's strange because we have been hooking Dish up that way for years. It took me a while to figure out but I changed the modulated channel to 50 and it was clear as can be. Not sure what changed in the last year and it only happens with people who have it combined with OTA.
Yeah, I mentioned that possibility in post#3 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)