Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys I am collectiong some feedback to hopefully help out the folks from DISH.

For those of you who have got a Hopper installed what do you like about the Hopper?

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION ONLY. DO NOT USE IT AS A DISCUSSION THREAD. This will help give the DISH folks a better idea of what you like without having to go through a bunch of idle conversation.

Thanks!

Here's my list:

PTAT
HD on all of my TVs
More tuners for recording
The new recall feature
The small size of the Joeys
EHD capability
PIP in HD on the Hopper
The remote management
The GUI looks great
Channel changing and menu speed
I thought the install was very simple
Being able to tell the Joey which Hopper to link with

Those are just off the top of my head. Once they get the Hoppers integrated and OTA this will be one bad boy machine.

Popup record menu in guide. It's a small thing, but much better than the 722 page 90% of the time.
Hopper - Swap/PIP works with recorded programs.
Hopper - When swapping away from a paused recording in progress, it is still paused where you left it when you swap back.
HD with trick play on my Joey TVs.
PTAT - was skeptical about this, but after a couple of nights I think I will leave it enabled.

• Primetime Anytime
  • HD at all locations
  • Faster response of the receiver
  • Blockbuster@Home(former 922 user that didn't have it)
  • Ability to Pause and pick up in another room
  • 3rd tuner
  • last 4 channel recall
  • Ability to rename each hopper/joey with a unique name

Guide
Three tuners
4-Channel recall
Coming from 722, I really like the new guide layout, show artwork, etc.
Improved search function
It smaller than 722 and much quieter
Ability to resize and reposition the guide
Overall it's great except for the maximun number of events which needs to be increased

Todd

In addition to what's already been mentioned:

- Lower power consumption
- Simultaneous IR and UHF, and better UHF range
- Remote locate function
- Colored button shortcuts
- Channel logos
- Collapsible music channel groups
- Removal of duplicate 9xxx channels

All of the above (particularly PTAT!)plus:
--Ability to watch a recording in progress, leave it, and then return after it finishes recording, and it remembers where you left off (I guess the 722 did this, the 922 did not).
--Ability to hit the red button on the remote and see what the tuners are doing.

I like the 30 sec skip response it seems faster then the 922 I could be wrong but it seems better in my opinion. I like the HD GUI also. And I'm also happy that On Demand has the channels again since the 922 never got it. Alot easier to find things.

Chris

1) When a recorded network show ends but the last minute didn't get recorded you can go to PTAT and watch it.
2) If a network show gets deleted accidentally it is still on PTAT.
3) NO MORE CONFLICTS......(yet)
4) Room on top of unit now to fit sling and EHD with breathing room (Smaller unit height.
5) Separate tab for PTAT on sling web page.
6) If something is playing (like NCAA Basketball) when it is trying to record a show (like amazing race) you can watch the end of that show because it records the next show (like the good wife).
7) Just realized PTAT is a 3 hour recording so you can watch the whole night with out having to start the next show, cool.

Last edited:
That's interesting on the 'skip response'. I noticed more than once I never overshot the start of the program after a commercial. Maybe by a couple of seconds at most, but with my 722 it was always a 50/50 proposition. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Overall, very pleased for all the reasons listed. Speed in navigating and less frustration in setting up 'favorites' etc. is most welcome.

- Speed of the Hopper -- wow! FF and Rewind speeds are more consistent and accurate it seems.
- Two USB 3.0 ports on the back panel.
- Compact Joeys with HD throughout the house now -- everyone has access to the DVR's contents now.
- 4 channel recall
- I can record a channel I'm watching, but then switch to another.
- Slow-motion skip is fixed now; doesn't jump a second ahead when pausing and then initiating 1/15th forward.

The picture quality is much better. My bedroom was running a 722 and now is on a Joey and there is a marked improvement. Not to mention the kitchen which was the secondary destination which was running as standard definition. 1080p on the 20" screen in the kitchen is incredible.

My only complaint is that wifi is not built in. I have the wifi adapter sticking out of the front of my Hopper because the two usb connections in the back are taken with my sling and external hard drive.

The picture quality is much better. My bedroom was running a 722 and now is on a Joey and there is a marked improvement. Not to mention the kitchen which was the secondary destination which was running as standard definition. 1080p on the 20" screen in the kitchen is incredible.

My only complaint is that wifi is not built in. I have the wifi adapter sticking out of the front of my Hopper because the two usb connections in the back are taken with my sling and external hard drive.
You're a perfect candidate for a HIC. Then you can ditch the wifi adapter.

MGINCHICO said:

I had the same issue so I used a USB splitter for my wifi stick and ehd. They both work fine without any issues.

Day 2 with my 1 Hopper and 1 Joey to replace a 622 and 522.

• New UI is great, lots of small touches that make it very useable
  • Both Hopper and Joey are a lot smaller and run cooler than the 2 DVRs they replaced
  • Remotes are both RF! No more line of site issues when using the remote
  • Lots of folder options for managing our recordings.
  • PTAT is great.
  • On-screen guide for configuring the remotes to control our other devices was so easy to use.

Having that shared pool of tuners and DVR space is great, but it will require some changes in our viewing habits to enjoy the full benefits. For our household, 3 tuners should be enough 90% of the time. All the extra benefits should outweigh that 10%, however...

I like everything about the H/J. I have less cable running through my house and have more options of what to watch right now. I don't even watch any prime time shows anymore until the next day or a couple of days later. Also, last night the PTAT kicked on early because of March Madness on CBS. Did anyone else notice this? I don't think that anyone has mentioned that when you browse channels and you select a channel to watch... there is NO delay. The channel pops right up. Haven't noticed if the same is true for the guide or not. So far my family loves it, even my wife who asked why we needed this is impressed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)