Question

vurbano;1347671 You will also need a new HDMI audio reciever to listen to the new audio formats said:
See here's the problem I just plopped down around $350 for a brand new Sony Receiver with speakers and the unit has inputs for Red/White Stereo cables, and it has Optical and Coaxial inputs. Which audio formats don't go through either? I was under the impression that optical would allow me to do it all because I am not too eager to buy another one only a month after the last one. I also know that the PS3 can't output PCM 5.1 uncompressed even using optical. Someone told me that it was a PS3 issue.

See here's the problem I just plopped down around $350 for a brand new Sony Receiver with speakers and the unit has inputs for Red/White Stereo cables, and it has Optical and Coaxial inputs. Which audio formats don't go through either? I was under the impression that optical would allow me to do it all because I am not too eager to buy another one only a month after the last one. I also know that the PS3 can't output PCM 5.1 uncompressed even using optical. Someone told me that it was a PS3 issue.
If the unit does not have HDMI or 5.1 analog multi channel inputs You will not be getting uncompressed audio, DTSHD or TrueHD audio. I don't even think you will get DD+ just the old DD. Can someone confirm that? I dont think anything can send uncompressed over optical, not enough bandwidth there. Again can an expert elaborate? I believe the only way to get any of the new audio formats from the PS3 is via HDMI. And of course you have to have a reciever capable of decoding them via HDMI.

I would really evaluate buying into BD at this time. You do not have an HD display capable of really showing its capabilities nor do you have a sound system capable either. And with the standalone players overpriced and in their infancy It may not be the way to go. The only logic choice is the PS3 if you want to venture into this at all.

Dont feel bad though, Im in the same audio boat. If only the PS3 had multichannel analog out.

Last edited:
...I just plopped down around $350 for a brand new Sony Receiver with speakers.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news: this much money spent on AVR and speakers won't help much to see/hear what BD is all about...
If the unit does not have HDMI or 5.1 analog multi channel inputs You will not be getting uncompressed audio, DTSHD or TrueHD audio. I don't even think you will get DD+ just the old DD.
Correct. Nothing above 640kbps AC3 or 1536kbps DTS...
I dont think anything can send uncompressed over optical, not enough bandwidth there.
It is not a bandwidth problem - optical as transport can handle orders of magnitude more.
The transmitting/receiving parts of the chain are not designed to handle more. It's called standard.

Here is an example how optical can be used to transfer multichannel hi-fi audio
ADAT Input Amplifiers :: Simplifi Digital, The world's first line of powerful audio amplifiers for the 21st century home

It is not a bandwidth problem - optical as transport can handle orders of magnitude more.
The transmitting/receiving parts of the chain are not designed to handle more. It's called standard.
Man that really sucks....... The highway is there but the sending and recieving parts are not.

Specs were originally designed for coax cable and the electronics of the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of future optical cable arrangement. But it looks like HDMI may have a long run.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of future optical cable arrangement. But it looks like HDMI may have a long run.

Not really. CEs are looking to push through a new standard next year to eliminate the problems that have been created through HDMI. It has been a PTA since inception. The proposed standard has a much higher bandwidth than HDMI and is pretty much future proof.

S~

Not really. CEs are looking to push through a new standard next year to eliminate the problems that have been created through HDMI. It has been a PTA since inception. The proposed standard has a much higher bandwidth than HDMI and is pretty much future proof.

S~

Come on now, you can tell us that then no linky :)

Seriously, Id like to know more if there's anything to read.

Ethernet would make it future proof. Tons of cheap cable around, but then again companies like Monster would block it for loss of profit.

DisplayPort_source-side_connector_pinout.png
That's exactly what it is. Cat6E with an RJ45 connector.

S~
OK that would be great. I made that statement based on the link that elwaylite posted that contained the above photo. Doesn't look like RJ45.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news: this much money spent on AVR and speakers won't help much to see/hear what BD is all about...
Correct. Nothing above 640kbps AC3 or 1536kbps DTS...

Here is an example how optical can be used to transfer multichannel hi-fi audio
ADAT Input Amplifiers :: Simplifi Digital, The world's first line of powerful audio amplifiers for the 21st century home

So...will DTS HD and Dolby Plus ever be fixed to the point where I can just use Optical or Coaxial to listen to these audio formats while I watch my movie?

Displayport is kinda along the same line but only supports 2560x1600. The standard CE companies want to push through does support 4K. CE companies, particulary high end, have not been pleased with the myriad of problems created by HDMI. That is why you DON'T see very high end pieces with HDMI. It'll be interesting to see how much power HDMI has.

S~

Last edited:
So...will DTS HD and Dolby Plus ever be fixed to the point where I can just use Optical or Coaxial to listen to these audio formats while I watch my movie?
Never.
It ain't the format's fault.
To get the new audio formats you'll need HDMI or what comes after that.

You can use old AVRs with analog-in but the player must be able to decode...

Diogen.

I hope in a year or two a new (connector) standard will be established - HDMI, DisplayPort, RJ45, whatever - and it should become easier.

Diogen.

I thought HDMI was the new standard. Although I hate it and see that it's a terribly thought out kludge, I still bought it because of the stupid DRM garbage. So are they now thinking about obsoleting the TVs/amps that have HDMI connectors, like they did for the component ones?

If HDMI gets replaced, I think it will be backwards compatible and a simple adapter will be all you'll need (a-la DVI-HDMI).
But I also wouldn't be surprised if HDMI stays - it seems to be entrenched across all product lines...

Diogen.

Its all a money grab. FKN hardware scam so they can keep coming out with new features and keep prices high. ANd you can bet your a@@ there will be industry plants on the forums saying "you have to have this! You wont believe how awesome the new super duper dolby True DTS HD master optimum XXX sound sounds through the new connection, you gotta have it, its worth the 1300 dollars for the reciever and if you don't have one then you cannot have an opinion on audio"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)