Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
My dishback back period has expired with Mediacom (thank God) and i'm a free agent of sorts. Qwest had an insert in the local paper this past Sunday that caught the attention of my wife and I, but first I had some questions regarding DirecTV that I hope you guys could answer for me:

Question #1 (sorry for the length, but wanted to set the question up):

Up until August of 2005, I was with Dish Network, both my wife and I were extremely pleased and satasified with the service. To make a very, very long story short, we were forced to give up our dish because it was not grounded and according to the subcontractor who was assisting me (Blue Sky Satellite), the only way the dish could be grounded was to have a major source of electricity close by, like a central air unit. Is this correct?

I own a townhome, the front faces the south and there are no major sources of electricity close by, like a central air unit (mine is on the back side of the house), that the dish could be grounded to.

Question #2:

Do DirecTV receivers need to be plugged into a phone line? What about the TiVO HDTV receivers, do they need to be plugged into a phone line?

Question #3:

At the present time, my wife and I do not have an HDTV, however, if we were to purchase one in the future, is there a charge for existing customers to upgrade to an HD receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Question #1 (sorry for the length, but wanted to set the question up): Up until August of 2005, I was with Dish Network, both my wife and I were extremely pleased and satasified with the service. To make a very, very long story short, we were forced to give up our dish because it was not grounded and according to the subcontractor who was assisting me (Blue Sky Satellite), the only way the dish could be grounded was to have a major source of electricity close by, like a central air unit. Is this correct? I own a townhome, the front faces the south and there are no major sources of electricity close by, like a central air unit (mine is on the back side of the house), that the dish could be grounded to.

I will leave this for the pro installers that know local codes; if any apply.

Question #2:

Do DirecTV receivers need to be plugged into a phone line? What about the TiVO HDTV receivers, do they need to be plugged into a phone line?

I do not use the DirecTV DVR, but I suspect no; at least past the initial setup. I will be corrected if wrong. On the non-DVR models I know the answer is no. That phone line is for remote PPV billing. If you don't order PPV events with your remote, you don't need it. In fact you can order your PPV online.

Question #3:

At the present time, my wife and I do not have an HDTV, however, if we were to purchase one in the future, is there a charge for existing customers to upgrade to an HD receiver? Thanks in advance. Jason

In fact you can even get the HD setup NOW, because it will down-rez and output via s-video so you can use it on your current TV until you get your HDTV. This way only one install and you are future ready.

Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts