questions about 4k DirectTV

pete424

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Andover KS
My wife finally said it was ok to get a 4k tv. We went to BestBuy and bought a new Samsung. Put it in the back of my truck and brought it home. Got to looking at my Yamaha AVR and realized it would not do 4k. Went to the internet to find a replacement. $3200 later I am the proud owner of a new SR8015 Marantz. Ordered a new ROKU and a new center channel speaker. Meanwhile I call DTV to find out what I need to do get set up. She said I had to have a service call to install the C16K-700. The guy comes to my door and I am not ready to tear into my set up yet because my AVR hasn't arrived nor has my wall mount. He comes in and I tell him he can just leave the small box with me and I would install it myself. He looked like a kid on Christmas. He left me the box and the power cord. My stuff has all arrived and I am now looking at the back of this box and realize I don't know what an SVM network is. Back to the internet and I assume it is the cable that comes through my wall. My question is this, I only have one cable coming into my house going to my DTV rec. I think it is an HR54. Do i just split the cable and have one end go to each of the DTV boxes? All your help would be appreciated!

My wife finally said it was ok to get a 4k tv. We went to BestBuy and bought a new Samsung. Put it in the back of my truck and brought it home. Got to looking at my Yamaha AVR and realized it would not do 4k. Went to the internet to find a replacement. $3200 later I am the proud owner of a new SR8015 Marantz. Ordered a new ROKU and a new center channel speaker. Meanwhile I call DTV to find out what I need to do get set up. She said I had to have a service call to install the C16K-700. The guy comes to my door and I am not ready to tear into my set up yet because my AVR hasn't arrived nor has my wall mount. He comes in and I tell him he can just leave the small box with me and I would install it myself. He looked like a kid on Christmas. He left me the box and the power cord. My stuff has all arrived and I am now looking at the back of this box and realize I don't know what an SVM network is. Back to the internet and I assume it is the cable that comes through my wall. My question is this, I only have one cable coming into my house going to my DTV rec. I think it is an HR54. Do i just split the cable and have one end go to each of the DTV boxes? All your help would be appreciated!
Are you saying you Have an HR54 and your adding the C61k-700 ?
If you follow your HR54 cabling back you may find a Directv Splitter already, if so, thats where you connect the C61k-700.

The HR54 already has a Power Inserter built in, so you don't need that ...

If you don't see a splitter anywhere, you will need to get one, connect it and add your coax at that point for the C61k-700.
Making sure that the HR54 coax connects to the Power ports on the splitter.

There are other s that handle more ports as well as less ... I would get the 4 port, incase you end up adding more.

Maybe, the guy left you the splitter ?

I cannot believe I am still dealing with this nightmare. I got the splitter, ran the cable to the original DirectTV box. I believe an HR54. Also ran the other cable to the C61k. Ran the HDMI cable to the back of my AVR and plugged the C61k into the wall. When I go to the UHD channels on DirectTV I get an invitation to subscribe to 4K upgrade (which I already did). I called DirectTV support yesterday and they told me my TV was not capable of UHD. My tv is a brand new Samsung UN75TU7000. It says Crystal UHD on the box. My AVR is a Marantz SR8015. Also brand new and 4K (and 8K) capable. Does this C61k need it's own remote? I have been turning it on with the button on the front of the box. Does the C61k need to be connected to my network? I am desperate for a fix. If I call DirectTV back, I am convinced I will keel over. As someone said in another thread, I am also in my 70s.

Does the C61k have its own remote, YES.
This is a box that acta as a tuner and should be connected to your 4k TV, they say the HR54 should connect to your Other TV.
(If your only dealing with 1 TV, just put 1 on 1 input and the other on a 2nd input) If you have 2 TV's do as I mentioned first.

Your TV is fine and compatible.

As for the cables you mentioned .... you need to find the feed from the Dish LNB coming into the house, I would put the splitter at that point and run 1 cable to the back of the HR54, then run the other cable from the other side of the splitter to the C61k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)