Questions about an old DIRECTV receiver and a DISH Network dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I come across an old DIRECTV receiver (it's a "Gold Edition" Hughes DirecTV receiver) and the little thing measures about nine inches across -- It's a smaller box which leads me to believe it may have been for something like a guest room, etc. It still has the card on the inside and everything looks to be in perfect working condition. I've got a DISH Network system already installed and the StarChoice basic package in another room. I don't have any immediate plans to make a switch to anything seperate but, provided I ever wanted to switch to DIRECTV, would the receiver work and would it be possible to reposition the dish (being a DISH Network dish) to work with the DIRECTV receiver.

Can a DISH Network dish receive DIRECTV signals if it is repointed? Would an older DIRECTV receiver pull in the signals? Or, should I just consider this junk and throw it away at this point? (I bought my brother's old house (only about five years old) and there was one box left in the attic that I discovered today -- and it's the DIRECTV receiver -- he switched to cable so has no use for it).

Cade

Directv will not activate an old receiver as the first one on a new account. They will activate one as an additional receiver, but you would need to buy a new access card for $20.

Do you have the remote for the D* receiver? If it is complete you might get more for it on Ebay than throwing it away.

It will work if you repoint the dish to the DTV sat but...as all others mentioned..there is no benefit.
DTV will send you a new dish & receiver. The new dish (with a new LNB) can go on the old mast and use the same cable. Have the tech check all the fittings etc.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts