Questions about DirecTV and HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I currently have an HDTV, but am receiving "normal" non-HDTV signal from DirecTV. I also have a 2-receiver TIVO hooked up to the main TV. I was thinking about getting HDTV, but I have some questions and was hoping to find help here.

1. I heard that DirecTV does NOT transmit the local channels in HDTV. SO, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. would be in non-HDTV format. Is this true?
2. If 1 is true, I heard that I could cancel the local channels through DirecTV and then get an Off-Air antenna and run it through the HDTV DirecTV receiver and see the local channels in HDTV. Is this true? How do I find an off-air antenna to get those channels? Can someone install it for me?
3. The TIVO would no longer work on that TV, correct, because I'd have to get a new HDTV decoder receiever.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick

To answer your questions:

1.) Yes it's true. The locals they provide are the standard definition locals.

2.) True. You can order an OTA antenna from Directv and have the installer install it for you.

3.) You can still run your Tivo on the same TV, you just can't record HD programming.

Cool, thanks for your help. I could move the Tivo to another room and using the new TivoToGo service, watch the shows on my computer. How much does the HD install cost? Isn't it like $399 for the dish and receiver? How much for the off air antenna? Do you know if the charge and additional installation fee?

cypher said:
I currently have an HDTV, but am receiving "normal" non-HDTV signal from DirecTV. I also have a 2-receiver TIVO hooked up to the main TV. I was thinking about getting HDTV, but I have some questions and was hoping to find help here.

1. I heard that DirecTV does NOT transmit the local channels in HDTV. SO, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. would be in non-HDTV format. Is this true?
2. If 1 is true, I heard that I could cancel the local channels through DirecTV and then get an Off-Air antenna and run it through the HDTV DirecTV receiver and see the local channels in HDTV. Is this true? How do I find an off-air antenna to get those channels? Can someone install it for me?
3. The TIVO would no longer work on that TV, correct, because I'd have to get a new HDTV decoder receiever.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick

OK, I'll give it a shot.

#1 Right of this response, only WCBS-DT and KCBS-DT are carried on D*. It's a limited number of folks that can get these channels, check with D* to see if you qualify. Fox is supposed to have a similar offering this fall and it's rumored that NBC is close, but with the same limitations on who can get it.
#2 D* HD receivers also allow for reception of over the air channels with an antanna. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what type of antenna is recommenced.
#3 A standalone Tivo would work as long as the HD receive would output a 480i signal. Some boxes will send out a 480i via S-Video or composit along with a 720p or 1080i on component at the same time, on some it's one or the other. If you can afford the $'s just get a HD Tivo. You figure a D* HD STB's $300 for you're talking about another $700 for the added HR10-250 functionality of two D* and two ATSC tuners and the ability to record HD.

I got direct & HD a couple weeks ago, and am pleased. Just last night I bought a $30 rabbit-ear style antenna - RCA, plugged it into my receiver, and scanned the channels. biggedy-bam: 7 new local hd channels in perfect reception. I was pretty excited. I'm on the third floor, and close to a major city (Boston). It's weird the analog version of the channel from the antenna is all snowy, but the hd version is perfect.

no need to cancel the locals through direct.

I looked at antennaweb and does this:
WXYZ-DT
mean it is in HD, or just digital (or does it mean both)?

I am just beginning to research all this, so all this help is appreciated.

cypher said:
Cool, thanks for your help. I could move the Tivo to another room and using the new TivoToGo service, watch the shows on my computer. How much does the HD install cost? Isn't it like $399 for the dish and receiver? How much for the off air antenna? Do you know if the charge and additional installation fee?

When I got my deal they told me the $399 included the off air antenna.

cypher said:
I looked at antennaweb and does this:
WXYZ-DT
mean it is in HD, or just digital (or does it mean both)?

I am just beginning to research all this, so all this help is appreciated.

Digital means just digital, could be anything from 480i up to 1080i. The FCC has just said a station needs to convert to digital, nothing in the law that says the need to do HD broadcasting. The only way to know is to contact the station or look on their web site to see what they say.

I can tell you already your FOX station will not have anything in HD until this fall.

ABC will more than likely be in 720p if they are broadcasting in HD. CBS and NBC should be in 1080i if they are broadcasting their signal in HD.

Rick:

I am planning on doing... almost exactly... what you have posted. The only difference (and I hope this works) is to run a new line off my multiswitch to my new HD receiver. My TiVO will stay put... I will connect the TiVO into either Video 2 or 3 of my HD Monitor. Hopefully... I will still be able to use the TiVO for everything but HD... which is OK. I should then be able to just switch inputs from my remote from HD to Standard (TiVO). This will keep the wife happy since the TiVO records all her soaps. :)

Good luck with yours...

Ronnie

My wife is the same way. The Tivo records her Soaps too. I thought thats why we have SoapNet? :D

NBC HD is more than rumored.
Chase Carey, speaking to financial analysts today, spoke of the impending addition of NBC HD (in O&O areas) as a "bridge" to complete national HD LIL service beginning with a roll out after the Spaceway satellite launches next year.

Ronnie-
Have you gotten this setup to work? If so, that is AWESOME! I would have 2 lines into my Tivo (for the 2 receivers), 1 to the HD Receiver, and 1 to the upstairs bedroom. Man, that would rock! I think the HD just jumped into 1st place for "toys I must have" (it is nearing the end of golf season after all).

PHP:
Ronnie-
Have you gotten this setup to work? If so, that is AWESOME! I would have 2 lines into my Tivo (for the 2 receivers), 1 to the HD Receiver, and 1 to the upstairs bedroom. Man, that would rock! I think the HD just jumped into 1st place for "toys I must have" (it is nearing the end of golf season after all).

Rick-

I have not got it hooked up as of yet but I have been told it will work. I just got my triple LNB dish up last night and just received confirmation that my 5x8 multiswitch has shipped... should have Wednesday. I will post once I have everything hooked up. It should be sweeet if everything works right.

Take care,

Cool, Ronnie. I look forward to hearing from you....only thing...would you have to pay the $4.99 for each receiver? Therefore, you'd have 4 receivers (2 in the Tivo, 1 in the HD, 1 in another room)...so 3 * 4.99 = $14.97 extra in your bill?

cypher said:
Cool, Ronnie. I look forward to hearing from you....only thing...would you have to pay the $4.99 for each receiver? Therefore, you'd have 4 receivers (2 in the Tivo, 1 in the HD, 1 in another room)...so 3 * 4.99 = $14.97 extra in your bill?

Oh you know I will... and I am expecting it. But it will keep the wife happy having the TiVO in the livingroom so it will be worth it. :D :D

Hey guys, just got my HD receiver and antenna installed yeaterday. :D Man what a difference!! I kept my TIVO on the same TV. Everything's working great. Now how the @*%! am I gonna pay for all this? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)