Questions about Directv and MRV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

momof2inmn

Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
North Country
Hi - couple of questions for you all as I consider returning to Directv:

1. We have been gone from Directv as customers for almost two years and we have no equipment - are we considered new customers?

2. If we go with MRV are we still charged $5 for additional receivers or does the $10 Whole Home DVR + HD fee cover all receivers (we'd be going with 2 HR-24s and no regular receivers)?

3. We do have phone lines in the house but no longer have phone service - we use our cell phones instead. We have wireless internet through a USB data card for our laptop so no service there either. We used to have Directv and had to have it connected through the phone line but now with Dish we pay a $5 fee to go wireless. Can we go wireless through Directv or do we need a phone line? If we need a phone line does it have to be hooked up with the phone company? If we can go wireless is there a fee and/or will we be charged for additional equipment?

4. Because of the way we get the internet and use our cell phones we can't do any of the Netflix streaming kind of thing. Is there a way for me to do this with any of the equipment that they can install with the MRV? I don't know anything about routers or ethernet - just that they exist - so any explanation in laymen's terms you can give would be great.

Thanks for your input!

1. Yes I think you will be considered a new customer.

2. MRV does not change receiver lease fees. You will still have the receiver lease fee for each receiver, plus a single DVR fee (one for as many DVR's as you have)

3. The phone line is preferred. But since you don't have one, they would have to do without.

There are no fees to go wireless other than equipment. . However, I'm not sure how you would do it. You don't need to connect to the internet to use MRV. It's only required to use video on demand. For the internet connection you need a connection to your router through a wired connection or a wireless access point. You don't have one. You could plug in to the ethernet port on your laptop and use internet connection sharing. That would require a wired connection to your laptop. You could also just skip it.

4. Nope, DirecTV's equipment doesn't help give you access to Netflix. With an internet connection kit you can video on demand.

Have you considered getting DSL or cable? It's usually way cheaper than those air cards.

2. MRV does not change receiver lease fees. You will still have the receiver lease fee for each receiver, plus a single DVR fee (one for as many DVR's as you have)

I'm a little confused on this. On the Directv website it shows that you choose:

DVR sevice fee $7
HD service fee $10 (now free)

OR

Whole Home DVR + HD service $10

I took that to mean that the DVR fee is replaced by the MRV + DVR + HD fee if you go that route. Am I wrong?

I'm a little confused on this. On the Directv website it shows that you choose:

DVR sevice fee $7
HD service fee $10 (now free)

OR

Whole Home DVR + HD service $10

I took that to mean that the DVR fee is replaced by the MRV + DVR + HD fee if you go that route. Am I wrong?

The whole home DVR fee just combines two different fees.

MRV = $3
DVR = $7

This is your $10 whole home DVR fee.

The combination is not an "OR". If you get an HD DVR, you must subscribe to HD Access (you may get it for free) and pay the DVR fee. If you want to add WHDS, you have to pay for that too.
DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service said:
Whole-Home DVR Service

Subscribe to Whole-Home DVR service ($3/month). HD Access ($10/month) and DVR service ($7/month) are also required.
Pay careful attention to the last sentence.

So if I have a total of two boxes, both DVRs will I pay $10 (7+3) or will I pay $17 (7+7+3)?

You can have as many DVR's as you would like for the one DVR fee. The only fee that is per receiver is the $5 lease fee.

So if I have a total of two boxes, both DVRs will I pay $10 (7+3) or will I pay $17 (7+7+3)?

If you get free HD, you would pay 7+3+5= 15 for 2 HD DVRs with whole home DVR service.

$7 for DVR service
$3 for MRV service
$5 for your 2nd receiver to mirror the programming package from your first receiver

Any other receivers added to your account would only incur the $5 programming mirror fee...so you could have 4 more HD DVRs and your bill would increase $20.

If you don't get free HD you would need to add $10 to the $15 I mentioned above.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)