Questions about DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DarthZug

Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Currently I have digital cable which I’m not very happy with. I’m considering switching to DishNetwork which I had about 1yr ago. I figured I might as well look at DirecTV also. What I want to do is to have 4 TV’s hooked up in the beginning and expand up to 6 TV’s. On main TV I want to be able to watch one show, and record another on it. Also I might want HD on it. The other TV’s I just want to view be able to watch shows.

So, can I do this with DirecTV?

What is the advantage for getting a 18x20’ dish?

Is there any type of commitment?

Are there any fees for having more then one receiver?

Yes, you can do all that with DirecTV. If you want HD on your main TV and you want to record also you'll need the HD Tivo, which will also record your OTA HD channels in your area. If you want HD, you'll need the 18x20 dish to receive the HD programming. Also, depending on where you live you need the bigger dish for local SD channels. There is a one year commitment when you sign up for DirecTV, and the fee is $4.99/month for each additional receiver. The Tivo service is $4.99/month.

Chris

you own the equipment on day one. the standard receivers are free, but you still own them. the HD Tivo is $879/875 or so at value electronics, you own it as well.

Question about the Dual DVR receiver. Do you get Dolby Digital audio no matter which input you record the show on? I know with the Dish 522 receiver you only get Dolby Digitall on Input 1, but not on Input 2.

Yes you get Digital Audio on both tuners. Provided that the program you were watching sends out a dolby digital signal. Not too many programs do.

The Dish 522 has dolby digital in on both inputs.
The Dish 522 is designed to drive two separate TVs, and has Dolby Digital out on one output.

The DirecTiVos are not designed to drive two separate TVs. While there are multiple outputs, they all send the same thing at the same time. Thus, one dolby digital output.

H

ok, so the DirecTV is designed for what I'm looking for. All I want is to be able to record one show and watch another at the same time. Cool

Next Question. About the Program Guide in DirecTV. Does it only show the channels that you have, and can you customize the Guide so you only have to cycle thourgh a few changes? My Digital Cable shows all the channels, even the ones I can watch. I hate that. I know with Dish I would customize the Guide to just show a hand full of channels.

DarthZug said:
ok, so the DirecTV is designed for what I'm looking for. All I want is to be able to record one show and watch another at the same time. Cool

Next Question. About the Program Guide in DirecTV. Does it only show the channels that you have, and can you customize the Guide so you only have to cycle thourgh a few changes? My Digital Cable shows all the channels, even the ones I can watch. I hate that. I know with Dish I would customize the Guide to just show a hand full of channels.

In the DirecTV Tivo's you have three channels lists, one for ALL channels, which you can't change then two others RECEIVED and FAVORITES. In those lists it allows you to select which channels to display in the guide. However, for a channel to be available to select in the FAVORITES list you must have selected it in the RECEIVED list.

DarthZug said:
ok, so the DirecTV is designed for what I'm looking for. All I want is to be able to record one show and watch another at the same time.

Screw that -- you'll be able to record TWO and watch a pre-recorded show all at the same time!

You'll be very happy with the Directivo. It's pretty much rock solid stable, and the R10 has a few advantages over the older DTivos.

I have another question. I have Cable Interent access in one of the rooms I want to have DirecTV in. When I had Dish I used a Diplexor on both ends to combine and seperate the signals. Can I do the same with DirecTV?

DarthZug said:

What's way cool is while BOTH tuners are recording, you can watch another show that is already recorded...

We hardly watch anything live anymore. We're always watching recorded stuff and in prime time we often have 2 things recording. It really is great.

DarthZug said:
I have another question. I have Cable Interent access in one of the rooms I want to have DirecTV in. When I had Dish I used a Diplexor on both ends to combine and seperate the signals. Can I do the same with DirecTV?

Not sure.

I'm surprised it worked at all.

Most of us have DSL to avoid having to use our cable lines for non-satellite services.

DSL is slow compared to Cable. InsightBB has upto 4meg downloads. The Diplexer is made to combine SAT and Cable Signals, then seperate them.

DarthZug said:
DSL is slow compared to Cable. InsightBB has upto 4meg downloads. The Diplexer is made to combine SAT and Cable Signals, then seperate them.

Not always true, I have a SBC ADSL connection that's syncs at 6016Mbps/608Kbs and see actual speeds around 5Mbps/500Kbps. That's faster then anything Comcast is currently offering in our area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)