Questions about Dish Network Install

HokieEtown

Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
East Coast
Hi,

I have been a long time DirecTV customer and am considering a switch to Dish Network. I have recently tried to upgrade to HD/DVR with DirecTV. This led to a failed install attempt (leaving me with holes on my roof as a reward), and a frustrating run around by DirecTV as to suitable Line of Sight.

I have been reading through the forum and have seen much discussion on multiple dishes (300/500) with switch arrangements to achieve HD Service. I have also seen reference to various 1000.x dishes that I assume eliminate the need for the multiples. How does Dish Network determine what dish will be used for a new install? Due to LOS concerns, will the same 1000.x dish work with the eastern arc birds as well as the 110/119/129 depending on to which group it is pointed? I live in Maryland.

Thanks in advance for any info!

DISH 500 originally designed for reception of the satellites at 110 & 119

1000.2 designed to receive 110/119 & 129 now called Western Arc.

1000.4 designed for 61.5/72 &77 Eastern Arc primarily used on the East Coast due to low look angles for the Western Arc.

Location of your HD local channels seems to determine which Arc you are installed for though line of site can be a factor.

Last edited:
It is very likely dish will have LOS as they have 2 arcs to choose from.However the high def 129 has a low 30 degree elevation which can sometimes be a problem.The eastern arc however points ruffly 45 degrees to the left of the western arc and its lowest elevation orbital is 61.5 at 36 elevation.

The elevations will vary depending on where you live as these settings are for the st.louis area.I think there is a page somewhere around here that can give your settings or you may be able to call dish for help.

Thanks for the response.

Local channels are not available in my small market area, therefore I guess LOS would be the determining factor.
While that may be the case just remember you can only receive the regional feeds from All American Direct off the 119*. Also (while this may not be true for all locations) in the locations I serve that can't get locals off Dish, and it's an HD system it's set up as a Western arc. Not to say they won't let you switch due to an EA system due to a no LOS on the WA because they will. I'm just saying you won't be able to get the regional feeds off it. When this situation arises with one of my customers I do a two dish setup 110*/119* on the main dish, and 61.5 on the wing. (That is of course if it's a viable option.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)