Questions about dish pointing and OTA antenna.

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ok here's the deal. I just signed a contract on a condo and will probably close in about 3 weeks. When I move I would like to install the dish myself. In all the years I've had sat I have never installed a dish myself. :eek:

I know the sat is at 61.5(not that this means much to me yet...) but how exactly would I go about pointing it? How do I know what the elevation, azimuth, etc...are? Once I know the right settings, how do I know I have the dish pointing at them (like what do the numbers mean in relation to the ground, sky, etc...)? Are there any tools or devices to do this? I will have no problems with the cabling, etc...but I've simply never had to point a dish. If anyone has a link or something to some instructions?

Also, there's a big tree roughly in the southeast direction. Can I go out there with a compass or something and find 61.5 and the other settings before I move to see if the tree is going to be an issue? How would I do that?

Next question...I currently have the winegard antenna. It's kinda big and I'm not sure the condo commandos would be too pleased with it. I used a terk55(the ones that look like a fat wirehanger wrapped around the dish) with dtv and it worked fine. Would this antenna work with the voom box?

Do not recommend that you install it yourself. The tech. has instruments to locate the signal and point your dish exactly in the right direction. He can tell in a few minutes whether or not you are obstructed by that tree. Why bother? If you're within 40 miles of a transmitter you can probably mount the OTA inside the attic and get by. That's what I did and I'm 40.9 miles from the transmitter. Good luck but strongly suggest you do not DIY.

It's a condo...I dont' have an attic. As for the DIY, I guess I'm just stubborn when it comes to stuff like that. I'm a tinkerer and am very good with things like this. Just never had to point a dish before. With the info I asked about I'm sure I can do it no problems.

I'm sure plently of people do self-installs and have moved their dishes when they move. It can't be rocket science.

...although if I can get a free reinstall from voom, I'll glady let them install it. Otherwise I'd like to save the 125.00 if I can.

Well, I am not gonna tell you that its impossible, but it can be tricky. If you have never done it before, give yourself a good afternoon. It is a single LNB, so it is easier, but you still have to make sure you are peaking it out as much as possible. I'll tell ya, the best way to do it, is to mount your mast first. Make sure that it is level! Check it both ways. THen get your azimuth and elevation and set the elevation on the dish. Put it on the mast. Now the problem is that you won't have a signal meter, so you will have to be able to hear the IRD from outside. Turn the dish until the signal peaks out. Tighten it down. THen, loosen the elevation bolts and move it up and down till the signal is peaked out. I usually loosen the bolts again to turn the dish and make sure I have it peaked still. Tighten everything down REAL TIGHT, but don't strip them :) Make sure your grounded also...If you have more questions, ask away, there are plenty of us that do it or have done it that can help you out. Just don't rush it, give yourself plenty of time and don't get frustrated. You should be able to do it.

It's free install through July 31st as I understand it; for both OTA & the dish. You don't have to have it installed by then. Just call in and get scheduled.

poopsie I know what azimuth and elevation mean, but what are the settings for the voom bird? Also, I know what they mean, but not actually what they are..for example, I know azimute is the horizontal and elevation is the vertical, but if you gave me a number for elevation I don't have a clue what exactly that number represents. How do I find this out?

Tvlman, do you know if that will cover a reinstall if I move?

Ok, never mind the dish pointing. I think I pretty much got that sorted out.

Still wondering about the antenna though.

And if anyone knows for sure if voom will pay for a reinstall at a new place. I was told one thing by a csr, and someone else on this forum was told the opposite. Go figure. Anyone know for sure?

lostcause (interesting name)

You are aware that 61.5 is the satellite location and you have to use a lookup index for your location to know where to point the dish. For instance, if you're in California, you wouldn't point it in the same direction as if you were in Florida.

JimP, I'm aware of that. I already found the direction the dish needs to point. If only I had paid more attention during compass training in the boy scouts..... Now I just have to get hold of a compass and remember how to find a 146 azimuth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)