questions about forcing upgrades

evancono29

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
illinois
i heard from an ex dish installer that there is a way to get a reciever to check for updates by looking at signal strength in a certain order or something can anyone elaborate on this or is this a bunch of BS.

All I do is power it off for 10 minutes. If there is a new update, it will download it

I took an old 301 that had 2.00 (current was 2.06), and powered it up...got a signal. and shut it off...in 3 minutes it started downloading software

As you suspect, it's the latter. Updates are released to a batch of receivers at a time, determined by serial number. Your receiver will not get the new s/w until its number comes up. There is nothing you can check or do to your receiver to change which group it's in.

I know that some of the older legacy recievers would give you the option as to whether you wanted the new software upgrades with your permission or not but am not sure if the new ones have this or not. They can still force a software version upon the reciever without your option if they feel the need for that.

The permission option only determines whether or not you get the download automatically. If the reciever sw is out of date, turning it off will download the sw. The officaly time is 15 minutes because the sw is spooled on a 15 minute rotation, that means software is constantly being sent out to software and your reciever is somewhere in that rotation. so it could possibly take up to 15 for it to start downloading. Sometimes there are multiple current versions of software because the sw has been partially released, if you don't have the version of sw you want, but you have a current version, it hasn't be released to you yet, because it hasn't been fully spooled, so all you can do is wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts