questions about hd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
when im eligible to change to turbo hd will i need a new dish? it looks like a lot of the stuf is on the 129 bird but i have a d500 so i only have acess to 110 and 119. how hard is it to add 129?

i was also thanking of moving and had another quesiton (sd). i noticed some of the cw nets (s.d. and miami) dont have a spot beam listed and look like they are nat. networks. am i reading that right?

Pending your location, Dish would usually replace your 500 with a 1000.2 that will pick up all three. 129 is lower to the horizon, so line of site might be an issue if you have nearby trees. In that case, you would add another 500 aimed at 61.5. In the Pacific NW, 129 is hard to get well. Not up on spot beams of late.

when im eligible to change to turbo hd will i need a new dish? it looks like a lot of the stuf is on the 129 bird but i have a d500 so i only have acess to 110 and 119. how hard is it to add 129?

i was also thanking of moving and had another quesiton (sd). i noticed some of the cw nets (s.d. and miami) dont have a spot beam listed and look like they are nat. networks. am i reading that right?

The SD CW networks in San Diego and Miami are CONUS as far as I can remember. They were once given to customers who lived in areas without a CW network. If you were dying to get a network from either of those cities, you could move to that city and probably get it without any problems. However, you'd be paying $5.00 for just one network (as I don't think DISH offers a la carte locals any longer).

If you just want a CW network, they have New York, Denver, and Los Angeles available as part of the Superstations package which, I know for a fact, will allow you to order one network at $1.50. (If you go with KTLA, you'll also receive the pre-season Raiders games).

Cade

Where are you? And you're interested in South Dakota and Miami spotbeams?

I'm not sure about where he is from but I'm from southwestern North Carolina. I'm interested in moving to the Turbo HD Bronze at the earliest availability for a current customer (which I hear is February). So, I guess I have three questions if anyone is willing to help:

I currently have a DISH500 (110 / 119) and I know I'll need to buy an HD receiver. Will I need a new DISH or equipment (other than the HD receiver) to receive anything on Turbo HD Bronze? (Bronze makes the most sense for me because it has everything that I watch (excluding locals) - nothing more or less)

Second, I'm a little unclear as to whether or not an RSN comes with Turbo HD Bronze or if a higher tier is required.

And, finally, will I be able to keep my distant networks through AAD (even though they will be SD) and the KTLA superstation as an a la carte selection?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion-

Cade

The results may vary, especially if Ciel-2 is fully successful and positioned after November launch. At that time, hopefully a single dish solution (1000.2) works consistantly across the west coast.

As a recent D* to E* convert, I was eligable as a new DISH customer and subscribed to the TurboHD Gold package. With the install, I received a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin LNB that has a connection for a third SAT without a switch. A second 24" dish with a single DPP LNB was used for 129. With that second dish, the signal is fine and HD has been just fine. Once Ciel-2 is up, I expect the signal will be even stronger, so I'll likely stick to the two dish solution anyways.

I suspect that this would be similar for you. However, in Feb 09, likely you'll not require a 24" dish, so likely you'll have a second Dish 500 added with just a single LNB. Or if you negoitate it with E*, you might be able to upgrade to a single dish solution 1000.2.

Since a new SAT comes into play before you'd be eligable, it's difficult to say the final result. I suspect that this is why E* is waiting to upgrade existing customers in Feb 09. Likely the majority will want a single dish solution (1000.2) and the satisfaction of that solution will be significantly greater with the new SAT in play.

Frankly, for me, the two dish solution was fine as it's way up and out of the view unless you stand in a particular spot in my back yard (even then you are craning your neck, guests don't notice until I specifically point it out to them). As for curb appeal, no one would know that I subscribe to any SAT service. Fortunately for me, I've never had to worry about too much snow as it'd be a real pain to brush it off.

I'm not sure about where he is from but I'm from southwestern North Carolina. I'm interested in moving to the Turbo HD Bronze at the earliest availability for a current customer (which I hear is February). So, I guess I have three questions if anyone is willing to help:

I currently have a DISH500 (110 / 119) and I know I'll need to buy an HD receiver. Will I need a new DISH or equipment (other than the HD receiver) to receive anything on Turbo HD Bronze? (Bronze makes the most sense for me because it has everything that I watch (excluding locals) - nothing more or less)

Second, I'm a little unclear as to whether or not an RSN comes with Turbo HD Bronze or if a higher tier is required.

And, finally, will I be able to keep my distant networks through AAD (even though they will be SD) and the KTLA superstation as an a la carte selection?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion-

Cade

My understanding is that the turbo packs include your local RSN.

Eastern US subscribers usually need an extra dish pointed at the 61.5 for HD, however, if you're going to be an Eastern Arc (61.5,72.7, 77) sub, the EA experts can chime in...IF you go EA, you'll need to keep a dish pointed at 119 to continue to receive the distant nets.

You should also be able to keep the Superstation Package (like the distant nets they're on the 119), although there have been rumors that they'll disappear with the digital conversion in Feb. 09 ???

Also, you should be allowed to add any al-a-carte packages, Euronews, etc.

If there are any erroneous assumptions on my part I'm sure someone will be able to make the correction.

Welcome to HD :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)