Questions about hopper and sling

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Talked with a Dish CSR today and he was very helpful but I am not quite clear on the wiring.

I have a 622 receiver in main room and that is all.

The outside dish has ONE coax into the house. The coax is connected together in the attic through a maze of splitters. All TV's have good picture so things are OK.

There is ONE coax going into the room with the receiver. ONE coax going into other rooms with outlets.

There is a triplexer on the receiver and the TV-2 output goes to all the other rooms (SD only) on the coax.

I was considering getting a hopper but the CSR said I will also need a sling (??) and sort of said (I think) I need another coax to go to the other rooms that now have TV-2.

I want some of the portability like being able to put a movie on my Kindle and to be able to add Pandora to my system. this is the reason for the upgrade.

Will this hopper and sling work with my wiring setup?
Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks very much.

Why worry, the Dish tech will figure it all out when they get to your house.

Anything is possible

ERR no..... don't throw that back on the Tech Claude. You need to discuss this setup with the CSR before the upgrade is set into motion. There will need to be TWO RG6 3Ghz cables "also only certain type or brand of cable can be used by Dish Specs" to feed from the DISH to the location of a NODE to be put before another RG6 3Ghz cable ....again only certain type/brand used, to the HOPPER. Any type of cable will work to the Joey or 2nd TV location.

So keep it mind and for the ease of installation or upgrade for getting more wire from the dish to the house. Ask yourself how would you do it and would it take a huge under taking, also if you are there make sure you at least give the Tech a hand, you know the home better so be helpful.

I get rather tired of the CSR's not really explaining how the system works or can work prior to setting it up when there isn't but a crappy RG59 line and old legacy cable run 150 feet under ground to a dish etc etc.... this is a nightmare for the Tech!

I don't think you can download to a Kindle yet, only an ipad, but I believe Scott said they are working on making content available to download to an Android device.

No one seems to have an answer then .... these homes in Florida are all concrete on grade. You DO NOT run new coax in the walls.

Any diagrams out there to show what I need or this?

Claude gave the right answer. It's not your worry, your not the first person in Florida with a concrete home getting the Hopper installed. The tech will figure it out, and as long as you are there you can agree to the install, or if you don't like how they will do it ask if there is another way.

Claude gave the right answer. It's not your worry, your not the first person in Florida with a concrete home getting the Hopper installed. The tech will figure it out, and as long as you are there you can agree to the install, or if you don't like how they will do it ask if there is another way.

The install should be discussed in some detail by the CSR before a truck is rolled else it will waste the time and money of the Tech. CSR's go about sell, sell SELL without giving much detail on what needs to happen or what could happen they just want the customer signed and in before its too late but what will happen is if he can't do the install cause of restrictions or whatever that could have been discussed over the phone then the tech is now out of money and lost time when it could have been made up some where else. The Op needs to research it well and talk to the CSR over any and all questions before getting an appointment done.

The install should be discussed in some detail by the CSR before a truck is rolled else it will waste the time and money of the Tech. CSR's go about sell, sell SELL without giving much detail on what needs to happen or what could happen they just want the customer signed and in before its too late but what will happen is if he can't do the install cause of restrictions or whatever that could have been discussed over the phone then the tech is now out of money and lost time when it could have been made up some where else. The Op needs to research it well and talk to the CSR over any and all questions before getting an appointment done.
The CSRs know jack nothing about installation. In fact, they know little about anything other than what their script says. It would be a waste of time to discuss anything like this with them....

The CSRs know jack nothing about installation. In fact, they know little about anything other than what their script says. It would be a waste of time to discuss anything like this with them....

I agree and that is precisely why I came here to the knowledge bank and asked. I discussed it with the CSR and it was crystal clear that he did not know what he was talking about. I am a EE, but I don't have knowledge about Dish connections and the wiring needed ... again why I am here.

I also agree that is is crummy to dump it on an installer. They are underpaid as it is and have to deal with nit-wit home owners who don't know a wall plug from a refrigerator. It would be irresponsible to have one waste their time for no reason.

@jongerush
Excellent and thank you ... that is exactly what I was looking for. Based on that - yes, it is doable since all my coax's to the individual rooms terminate in the attic. I can simply replace my 622 with the hopper and then connect all my other lines to the client port on the single node. No wiring needed other than I may need to bring one more line in from the dish to the node point which is easy.

thanks all for the help .... I got it now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)