Questions about Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
I decided to call Dish about possibly upgrading from a 722. Price would be $50, price sounds good. Just a few questions. I have 3 tv's, tv 2 and 3 different rooms signal is split so they share the same signal, no problem. If I where to add one Joey would the signal be able to be split? Can I use the same remote and just move it from one room to the other? Or possibly even use a 722 remote? Also looking on lowering my current package, Is there a minimum? Thank You in advance for all your help.

You will need an RF modulator in order to split. No TV2 output like a 722.

Yes. And there are wirele$$ solutions and IIRC the Joey has composite out also.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Using a VCR how (why)? One or two what...splitters/lines? Splain!

Last edited:
Run the 3-wire RWY composite to the other TV and there 4-way drivers for composite
(RadioShack ~15$). Composite will give a better picture and sound than RF coax.
If any secondary set is HD then run 5-wire component from Hopper, N/A to Joey IIRC.
(Too lazy to walk to the Joey to check.)
Or for that, run long HDMI and use component up close--just tidier.
-Ken

Hopper Mirrored.png

This is basically what you need to do in order to mirror a Joey. Note that you will need two cables at the Joey location, one with satellite in and one with your mirror out. You can take the remote from room to room if you wish but I recommend just buying another remote.

Certainly you can use an old VCR. Every one I have ever seen has a built-in RF Modulator that comes factory set to channel 3 with the ability to change it to channel 4.

Simply run the Joey's Yellow / Red / White composite outputs to your VCR's composite inputs. (If an old mono VCR, 'Y' the Red and White audio cables together)

Set the VCR's 'channel' to LINE IN, make sure the RF modulator is ON and you are good to go. After that, channel changes will be done by the Joey, of course.

Sorry. Thought i could go in a vcr and out coaxial to tv's. Any suggestions on where to buy the modulator? Would spliting the component work?

Maybe with this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10422&cs_id=1042205&p_id=2848&seq=1&format=2

and this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023508&p_id=2179&seq=1&format=2

Joeys don't have component output. You could use these to split the composite SD output, it's been a while, but I was never happy with split composite, and any significant length will just worsen problems. It's relatively cheap though, may be worth testing.

A VCR should be OK to use as a modulator, some can be rather weak output not really designed for long runs, but again it's free and worth trying. Worst case you buy dedicated modulator.

For HD on multiple TVs from a Joey, use an HDMI Splitter.

Also, both the HDMI and composite are active, you could conceivably have one TV HDMI and the other composite.

Are both tv's hd tv's? If so, the composite option will not work. You would have to use an hdmi splitter. The other option is 2 Joey's. It would be an extra 7/mo, but would give you independent hd viewing at each of the tv's.

Are both tv's hd tv's? If so, the composite option will not work. You would have to use an hdmi splitter. The other option is 2 Joey's. It would be an extra 7/mo, but would give you independent hd viewing at each of the tv's.

Why would it not work? HDTVs have composite inputs and coax inputs.

AFAIK It would work as a SD output, but not get true hd. If the Op wants true hd on both remote tv's, he would need an hdmi splitter. If he want independent hd tv he would need a Joey at each tv. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts