Questions about Reception

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by abukamoon, Jun 9, 2018.

1. abukamoon

abukamoon Topic Starter Member

I have a couple of questions and I hope someone can answer them.

1. I noticed recently that some channels had moved. I searched them out and found a few that had no picture but the sound was there. I did new scans several times but still no picture. I am wondering if this is on my end - could my dish have been moved? Or, is the problem with Galaxy 19?

2. When moving between channels, a blue panel pops up for a few seconds announcing the name of the channel. About half of these are incorrect. Again, is this something that Galaxy 19 needs to correct? For example, one channel says "ALKAWTHAR" but the channel is actually "I FILM ENGLISH", or the panel says "YEMEN" and the station is actually "PALESTINE".

Thanks in advance,
    abukamoon

2. northgeorgia

northgeorgia SatelliteGuys Pro

What kind of STB/receiver are you using? Check your cable and connections. Check your STB. I wouldn't start fiddling with the dish itself just yet.

3. abukamoon

I have a Lexium 7000. I will check the connections. Thanks.

4. etlam34

etlam34 Member

Those channels might be mpeg 4 now

FTA4PA likes this.
  5. Cham

Cham VE4GLS
    Pub Member / Supporter

Might have to re-scan some transponders. Channels sometimes change around on G19Ku. Also as mentioned above, some channels have gone to MP4 (H264) video compression that require a newer receiver to play video. Might be time for an upgrade. There's a unit that plays H265 video compression (backwards compatable) supplied by members on this forum, check the receiver section.

comfortably_numb likes this.
  6. abukamoon

Thanks for the input. I have done several scans. Is there a way to re-scan particular transponders? Can you suggest a unit that would be compatible? Most of the channels come in very well on my Lexium. thanks again.

7. Cham

Cham VE4GLS
    Pub Member / Supporter

Try KE4EST, he might have a supply. :) I have the HD-RE, the previous model and it would do what you need, but I think those are likely all gone.
    Another option is a PCI-card or USB receiver, but those are much more complex to deal with because then you are dealing with various softwares to read the signals.
    Not sure on your Lexion for scanning particular transponders, maybe try "satellite scan" and see if there is an option to scan particular TPs. If you already have the transponders in the list there would not be a need to add anything or blind-scan.

abukamoon and KE4EST like this.
  8. abukamoon

Thanks for the info but it's too technical for me. I have been watching FTA for 6 years but I don't really understand all of the electronics. The system was set up for me by a guy who used to install Dish TV. Thanks.

9. abukamoon

I got my answer today. I spoke to the man who owns Ricks Satellite and he told me that several stations had recently gone to high definition broadcasting and that when I re-scanned, the Lexium 7000 didn't recognize the HD programming.

10. SatPhreak

SatPhreak SatelliteGuys Pro

The only thing to do is get a new receiver if the channels you want went to HD. There is about 5 HD channels on 97w now.

Sent from my P00A using the SatelliteGuys app!

11. spongella

spongella SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

Those HD channels are a significant improvement in video quality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice

Separate names with a comma.

More...