Questions about superdish/locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

barryb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
I have an install scheduled for 5-24, which will include the superdish, 942 dvr,and second dish for voom. I had voom so I have the second dish. I ordered the local channels through dish. I am starting to question if I need to have to superdish/locals or if there is an advantage. If I receive my hd locals OTA through the 942 is there any advantage to subscribing to the locals over satellite? My understanding is the superdish is required for my area to receive locals over satellite. Is the superdish more or less subjectable to rain fade? Easier or more difficute to align? Should I change my order to exclude locals and the requirement for the superdish?
Thanks in advance,
Barry

barryb said:
I have an install scheduled for 5-24, which will include the superdish, 942 dvr,and second dish for voom. I had voom so I have the second dish. I ordered the local channels through dish. I am starting to question if I need to have to superdish/locals or if there is an advantage. If I receive my hd locals OTA through the 942 is there any advantage to subscribing to the locals over satellite? My understanding is the superdish is required for my area to receive locals over satellite. Is the superdish more or less subjectable to rain fade? Easier or more difficute to align? Should I change my order to exclude locals and the requirement for the superdish?
Thanks in advance,
Barry

if you want local guide data... you have to subscribe to locals on the 942...

also depending on your antenna you had for voom you may need a power supply and a seperate line run just to the antenna... the wineguard AMPLIFIED is the one that has a seperate line and a power supply.

The Superdish is 36x20...which will give the same results as a 30" dish, so you should have less rain fade. The SD is a little more tricky to aim, but if your installer has done a few, it shouold be no problems :)

Thanks. I quess I will stick with the superdish and locals.
Barry

If you signed up for DHA you have to get the locals. I also see you said you have the second dish. Are you planning on using the VOOM dish as the second dish? If so you are going to need a DPP44 switch insted of the DP34 that comes with the Superdish. There will be an extra charge for that, plus your Dish installer is not going to want to hook that second dish up for free (Dish is not going to pay him for hooking up your Voom dish) so take care of him as well if you want a good job done.

What is DHA? I was told of the $100 additional charge fro they second dish, but I requested a waiver on this and they agreed. I assume the installer will know what switches he needs. I hope. If they cannot use my existing dish then I have no problem with them changing to their dish. I thought they only had to change out the LNB.
Thanks,
Barry

They'll most likely have to change the dish out because of the D-tube arm that all Dish LNBF's fit on. If your dish has a square lnbf end, then he most likely won't be able to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)